DOG YOUR DOCTOR!!!
The decision to finally shut Hope Maternity Unit will be made on 1st December. And the organisation that represents local doctors has a powerful input into that decision.
If the doctors' organisation – the Salford and Trafford Local Medical Committee or LMC – say `NO!' to the closure of Hope Maternity Unit, it may well be reversed.
Originally the LMC supported the decision to close Hope – but, as the Salford Star showed in yesterday's feature (see here) - it seems that they were pressured into it, and are now trying to distance themselves from the murder of Salford's Maternity Unit.
Following a meeting with the Keep Hope Maternity Open campaign, the LMC have, apparently, agreed to re-consider their decision in light of new evidence that shows Salford's birth rate rising.
According to our story yesterday, the doctors have been put under pressure from health bosses to agree with the Hope closure – but what about pressure from below?
29,000 people from Salford originally signed a petition to keep Hope open. Another 9,000 have signed a new petition in the last month alone. It's obvious that the vast majority of Salford people want to save Hope Maternity Unit.
It also seems evident that many, many doctors in Salford also support the campaign to keep Hope open. Yet their organisation, the LMC, seems to be going along with the decision to close Hope.
Today, the Salford Star calls on everyone in Salford to `Dog Your Doctor'…
• Ask if your doctor supports the campaign to Keep Hope Maternity Open
• Ask your doctor why their organisation, the LMC, is supporting the closure of Hope.
• Ask your doctor to put pressure on the LMC to reverse its decision.
There's under a month left before the LMC have to make a decision - to kill Hope Maternity Unit or support the campaign to keep it open.
The life of the Salfordian is now in your doctor's hands…
Ring Your Doctor Now!
See Your Doctor Now!
Write to Your Doctor Now!...There's a standard letter you can send to your doctor at www.keephopematernityopen.com or download it by clicking here
DOG YOUR DOCTOR NOW!!!
• Closing Hope Maternity Does Not Save Any Money.
• The decision to close Hope was made on the assumption that Salford's Birth Rate was Falling. It's not. IT'S RISING.
• Women will have to travel as far as Warrington, Bolton, Stockport and gridlocked Manchester to have their babies
• Salford Midwives say the Safest Option for mums and babies is to Keep Hope Open.
* Patient Power Can Still Save Hope!
Don't let the old doctor joke come true…
`Doctor, Doctor I think I'm the Invisible Man…'
See also the update on this story 2nd November 2010 click here