HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD SELECTS ANTI HAZEL CANDIDATE
 

Star date: 5th February 2010 

SALFORD YOUTH COUNCIL CHAMP TO STAND AGAINST HAZEL

At a public meeting of the Hazel Must Go! campaign last night, David Henry, co-chair of Salford Youth Council, was selected to fight against Hazel Blears in the forthcoming General Election.

David, infamous for trying to perform a citizen's arrest on Hazel Blears at her Labour Party re-selection meeting last year, is now the official Hazel Must Go! candidate for the Salford and Eccles constituency.

Full story here…


HAZEL MUST GO! MEETING HAZEL MUST GO! MEETING HAZEL MUST GO! MEETING
HAZEL MUST GO!
click image to enlarge

Last night - as news programmes were relaying the results of the Legg Report announcing that half of all MPs should repay £1.12million claimed in `expenses'David Henry landed the job of ousting Hazel Blears at the General Election. 

At the Old Pint Pot pub in Salford, David Henry beat community activist Alec McFadden on a show of hands to become the official Hazel Must Go! candidate.

Before the vote took place, the meeting heard from former Labour MP, Dave Nellist, who told the audience that MPs are now "insulated and isolated from the real world", that the House of Commons was oozing "insipient corruption" and he urged Salford people to help build an independent political alternative to the three main political parties which will put the £90billion cost of the bankers' recession onto communities…

"The cuts" he said "will dwarf anything we've ever seen, the victims will pay for it and hardly a family in the area will be untouched".

The meeting voted to align the campaign to the Trade Union and Socialist Coalition, a national campaign backed by unions which is supporting independent community candidates nationwide.

David Henry, from Broughton, said that he's "not a politician" but this was about "bringing power back to the people". He added that every time he hears the 1997 Labour Party anthem `Things Can Only Get Better' it leaves him cold. The expenses scandal surrounding Hazel Blears and other MPs proved that the current system is "inherently corrupt and in urgent need of reform"…

As a result of the Legg Report, Hazel Blears has had to repay £225 for a glass shelving unit she claimed on expenses. This comes on top of over £13,000 she voluntarily paid to the Inland Revenue last year to cover capital gains tax for selling her second home.

Meanwhile the Hazel Must Go! campaign recently referred the Salford MP to Scotland Yard, arguing that Hazel "may have committed fraud" over claims for cleaning expenses…

 

Photos by Suzi Hoffman

James Masters wrote
at 9:23:36 PM on Monday, February 15, 2010
She is certainly no Barbara Castle. Not even within a hair's breadth.
 
Trevor Carr wrote
at 1:56:07 PM on Sunday, February 7, 2010
I reckon his blend of calming youthful energy, good humour and knowledge of local issues was the reason he beat Alec McFadden hands down. After hearing former Labour MP Dave Neilist screaming and shaking his arms around for twenty minutes, then being subjected to Alec McFadden drivelling on about issues relevant 20 years ago. David is no doubt a strong candidate. Taking on Blears is another matter, he'll certainly take good bite of the votes from all her contenders too.
 
Ricky Ordsall wrote
at 3:07:49 PM on Saturday, February 6, 2010
About time, a REAL local person, not some nutt-case like all the others. David gets my vote.
 
Em 3 wrote
at 10:54:50 AM on Friday, February 5, 2010
Whilst David was the best choice on the night - I worry that he really needs a crash course on how to do public speaking - she (Blears) is so polished and un-movable + as someone said "we've always voted Labour here - and no-one will vote for an unknown". Is it too late to persuade Christopher Eccleston. He has the politics, the persona and people would vote for him!!!! How do we contact him? COME ON CHRISTOPHER - EXTERMINATE THE EVIL SALFORD DALEKS
 
Richard Carvath wrote
at 10:54:44 AM on Friday, February 5, 2010
Jim, I've blogged about David Henry on my blog so you can find out a bit more about him there.
 
Jim wrote
at 8:29:29 AM on Friday, February 5, 2010
Who is this so-called 'infamous' candidate and what does he stand for?
 
Floating Voter wrote
at 4:26:06 AM on Friday, February 5, 2010
Surely 9 candidates standing is bizarre! They'll just split the vote and let Blears back in.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
SLADS
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD LISTED DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS TO BE DEMOLISHED AS PEGGY SEEGER SLATES ‘LAND GRABBERS’
The fat cats who control the faceless holding companies are only interested in SLASH AND CONCRETE and the bottom line,they are c... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Bristol fireman and Ray of Sunshine. The truth always hurts. The reality is that the fire service throughout the UK is an expensiv... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad - what sewer did you escape from? ... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad, if ignorance is bliss, you must go around with a permanent smile on your face. Also, can you point me in the directio... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
I totally agree the higher power are to blame . But as a human being. I would have gone any way and made my own personal and profe... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD RED DEVILS PROVIDE TRIBUTE TO MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS WHILE CATALANS CRUSHED

Star date: 27th May 2017

ALMOST 5,000 PEOPLE ATTEND SALFORD RUGBY TRIBUTE TO MANCHESTER

Almost 5,000 people, including fans from other rugby teams, watched Salford Red Devils crush Catalans Dragons 50-12 last night, in what was an emotional night of tributes to the Manchester bomb victims.

Before the game there was a minute's silence, after 22 minutes there was applause and, throughout, fans held 'I Love MCR' cards and waved a giant 'Salford and Manchester Together' flag, as Gareth Lyons reports...

Full report here...

ARIANA GRANDE TO DO BENEFIT CONCERT IN MANCHESTER FOR BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 26th May 2017

"WE WON'T LET HATE WIN" SAYS ARIANA

Ariana Grande has just issued a statement on Twitter saying that she will "be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honor of and to raise money for the victims and their families".

The singer, whose fans were caught in Monday night's bomb blast at Manchester Arena, adds that "We will not quit or operate in fear...We won't let this divide us...We won't let hate win..."

Full details here...

MANCHESTER BOMB ATTACK SALFORD WITNESSES URGED TO SEEK SUPPORT

Star date: 26th May 2017

PHONE LINE SUPPORT FOR ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT GOERS AND WITNESSES

Loads of Salford people were at Monday night's Ariana Grande concert which was hit by a terrorist bomb, and now they are being urged to seek help from Victim Support on a special free hotline...

"If you were...there on the night or you witnessed the horror that unfolded, practical help and emotional support is also available to you" says Greater Manchester Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime Beverley Hughes.

Full details here...

WORLD OBSERVES MINUTES SILENCE FOR MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 25th May 2017

ST ANN'S SQUARE FALLS SILENT THEN UNITED AND CITY ANNOUNCE £1MILLION DONATION

A jam-packed St Ann's Square fell quiet at 11am this morning, as a one minute silence was observed throughout Manchester, Salford and the world for the victims of the Manchester bomb attack.

Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham, led Manchester Council workers from Albert Square to St Ann's Square, to join many hundreds of people paying respect. Afterwards, it was announced that Manchester United and Manchester City had made a joint donation of £1million to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

Full details here...

SALFORD RED DEVILS GIVE FREE MATCH ENTRY FOR BOMB RELIEF DONATIONS

Star date: 25th May 2017

SALFORD RED DEVILS DONATE ALL GATE MONEY TO MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Salford Red Devils are making their Friday night match against Catalans Dragons free entry, with fans asked to donate to the Manchester Bomb Relief Fund instead. Owner Marwan Koukash tweeted "For the @SalfordDevils game on Friday, just turn up, collect free ticket and make a donation for the victims of the Manchester attack".

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx