HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
MANCHESTER HOMELESS CAMP GETS REPRIEVE
 

Star date: 21st April 2015

HOMELESS EVICTION POSTPONED FOR AT LEAST A WEEK

The eviction of the Albert Square homeless camp, set up after a march on Manchester City Council last week, has been postponed pending a court hearing next Tuesday.

Around twenty homeless people have set up the camp to draw attention to the problem and Scott, originally from Salford, told the Salford Star, "All we want is to be heard"...

Full details here...


Manchester Homeless Camp Homeless Action March Homeless Action March
click image to enlarge

At lunchtime yesterday Manchester City Council served a possession order on the camp that has been set up in Albert Square to draw attention to the plight of the homeless.

The camp was set up following a Homeless Action march last Wednesday (see previous Salford Star article – click here) and around twenty people are currently staying there, including Scott, a Salfordian who has been homeless off and on for ten years.

"We're doing it because we want them to start building more council houses and housing association flats for people like us to live in" he says "We can't afford these new builds because we can't get mortgages. We want somewhere to go that's not a hostel... Narrowgate is just a stop gap 7pm-7am and then you've still got twelve hours to walk around, that's not the answer.

"We came to the Town Hall square because it is a symbol of the powers that have taken the decisions that have created this homelessness" he adds "They have hiding the problem of homelessness for so long. Homelessness here is chronic, no-one's got anywhere to go and they won't listen. All we want is to be heard."

According to official figures, Salford has just 14 rough sleepers, a figure in itself that has doubled in a year. Salford's Coffee4Craig organisation, which helps the homeless, reckons the number is well over forty (see previous Salford Star article – click here).

Meanwhile a report from Shelter last December, based on Government figures, showed that one person in every 63 in Salford is at risk of eviction, the second highest rate in the North West, and only second to Manchester (see previous Salford Star article – click here).

Instead of solving the problem, Manchester City Council seemed intent on evicting the homeless who have set up tents in Albert Square. However this afternoon, campaigners learned that the possession order has been postponed until next Tuesday.

"Why are people more angry about tents in Albert Square than the fact that we are homeless?" asks Lee, 22, one of the camp's residents.

The most striking poster at the camp reads `KEEP YOUR COINS! I WANT CHANGE'....

UPDATE: 23rd April

Human Rights challenge to Manchester City Council from the Camp - click here

Taxpayer wrote
at 16:16:38 on 25 April 2015
I have emailed Manchester city council and reminded them that they own nothing. Every building and all land is owned by the taxpayers , and not this greedy , grubby council . I have ordered the council to let the protesters camp out on our property until they are housed. I have also given my permission for the homeless to use the toilet facilities within our town hall .
 
adele wrote
at 14:34:53 on 22 April 2015
Going out and counting 'rough sleepers' once a year on a predefined route is no longer reflective of the actual situation. I would like to know the routes that salford and manchester councils take and at what time of year to achieve these figures. Do these routes happen to be part of the police move on, no sleeping here? We have projects like Mad dogs and Coffee for Craig who go out and have regular clients who begin to take on personalities. What are our councils doing about homeless 'rough sleepers' ? What figures have they got for homeless on the housing register, using already in situ council night services/shelters? How do these figures all together look? Well gotta say, Mad dogs can see 30 clients of an evening, regular as clockwork. More that the council says . . .
 
Adam Brooke wrote
at 14:34:50 on 22 April 2015
I find it a disgrace that Sir Howard Bernstein is paid over £200, 000 per year (more than the Prime Minister) and this council are making single people street homeless. I have personally witnessed members of the homeless assessment team being hostile and rude to people presenting as homeless. To appeal a decision it takes the very hostile appeals officer 8 weeks to review it. I hope the camp grows and I hope the Labour council are out soon!!!!
 
Tahir Chakotai wrote
at 05:42:53 on 22 April 2015
Who the hell documented that there was only 14 rough sleepers in Manchester? Someone is obviously massaging the figures. I was helping out a charity last week, and finished at 10:30pm. As I drove my mobility scooter home, I spotted at least 25 rough sleepers, who were huddled in the door ways, on Market Street. Going past St Anne's Square, I noticed another 15 or so rough sleepers. And on Deansgate I spotted a further 10 rough sleepers. And last but not least, by the Renneisance Hotel, I spotted a further 4 rough sleepers. There is absolutely no doubt that Manchesters homeless problem is more serious than the council is making out. These people should have a right to a decent home. We are not a third world country. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should be homeless in this day and age. I think it's time the council stop spending money on expanding its city for the rich, and start focusing on the poor and destitute, who most certainly are a more worthy cause.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
People should beware of merely accepting the outward picture of a head’s performance. I worked for a head who was thought by most... [more]
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
I seriously doubt he's earned 1.5 million. If he has, it would probably explain the suspension! Probably the TV exposure has gone... [more]
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
My daughter recently left and my son still attends the work drew povey and team harrop do with and for these kids you cant put int... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
Bob, those that want to buy the proposed flats would be aware of what they are buying, including the parking arrangements. If they... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
To wrote at 06.39, you clearly haven't understood my comment. Yes Salix can borrow the money, which would have to be paid back, as... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

PEPPA PIG COMMUNISM GRAFFITI GOES SUBVERSIVE IN SALFORD

Star date: 18th July 2018

'COMMUNISM IS FOR THE CHILDREN' SAYS SUBVERSIVE PEPPA PIG

Bizarre graffiti art has appeared near Salford Central Station depicting two delighted looking Peppa Pigs by the slogan 'Communism is for the children'. The art has led to much amusement and bemusement but is probably related to China banning the popular kids' cartoon.

Full details here...

SALFORD TOWERBLOCK CLADDING RESIDENTS UNITE TO TACKLE PENDLETON TOGETHER

Star date: 18th July 2018

SPRUCE COURT AND THORN COURT TENANTS GET ORGANISED TO FIGHT BACK

"We're sick to death of being treated like dirt..."

Last night, tenants from Spruce Court and Thorn Court met to share concerns over dangerous cladding, fire safety, security and other issues, as they united to take on towerblock manager Pendleton Together and Salford City Council, which owns the blocks.

"They try to ignore what we're saying" insisted one tenant "They're complacent... we're sick to death of being treated like dirt...".

Full details here...

SALFORD QUAYS DEVELOPER TO AVOID £1MILLION PAYMENT WHILE NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROVIDED

Star date: 17th July 2018

FURNESS QUAY DEVELOPER PROVIDES NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING ON HUGE APARTMENT SCHEME

Salford's planning scandal is to go up another gear this week when an application by developer De Trafford for 421 apartments in blocks up to 27 storeys high on the site of Furness Quay is considered by councillors. Thanks to Salford City Council policies, the developer will be providing no affordable properties, while, through 'viability' assessments it is set to avoid over £1million in planning fees.

Meanwhile, the English Cities Fund (ECf) is continuing its secrecy in relation to new apartments and an office development around Chapel Street and New Bailey.

Full details here...

A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD

Star date: 16th July 2018

CLADDING, SECURITY, FIRE SAFETY AND MORE TO BE DISCUSSED AT PENDLEON TENANTS MEETING

As the Grenfell Tower victims said, before the tragic fire their warnings were not listened to by the authorities. Now tenants in Spruce Court, Pendleton, who are still living with the dangerous cladding, have called an independent meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday, 17th July, to discuss cladding, security and more, while Thorn Court residents are also complaining about the same issues.

Full details here...

PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION

Star date: 15th July 2018

SCHOOL PROTEST PLANNED OVER HARROP FOLD HEAD AND STAFF SUSPENSION

After Salford City Council suspended Harrop Fold School Head, Drew Povey, and three other staff members last week, supporters have launched a petition to reinstate them, while pupils and parents are planning a protest at the school this Thursday.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx