HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD DEMO TO SAVE BROUGHTON REC
 

Star date: 30th March 2011

SAVE BROUGHTON REC CENTRE
Thursday 31st March 5:30-6:30pm
Outside Broughton Rec
Camp Street, M7 1ZT

Broughton Against The Cuts has called a demo tomorrow to draw attention to the possible closure of Broughton Fit City by Salford Council as part of its £40 spending cuts.

Broughton Rec is right in the middle of the `New Broughton' regeneration area which has had almost £38million of public money spent on the Countryside Properties led development. 

Full story here….


Broughton Fit City Broughton Fit City
click image to enlarge

While Salford Council could find £857,000 of unsupported borrowing last year for a New Broughton `rescue package', there is no rescue in sight from the Council for Broughton Fit City, known as Broughton Rec.

Altogether, around £38million of public money has gone to finance the Countryside Properties led development of Lower Broughton. But now Salford City Council wants to offload the Rec as part of its £40million cuts to local spending. Campaigners want to see the Rec saved for its health benefits to the local community.

"There's an historical reason why Salford has Fit Cities" says Paul Costello, a local resident and regular user of the Rec "It was because we needed to provide exercise opportunities for people and it's fantastically used by all sorts of organisations, from mental health groups to five-a-side teams. And its climbing wall is a legend amongst climbers who say they don't build them that well any more.

"We don't know if it's closing but there's a possibility, and we're saying we want it to stay open" he adds "I don't believe that the Council wants to close it but whether it can do anything is another matter."

At last week's East Salford Community Committee meeting Council Leader John Merry disclosed that there was the possibility of Broughton Database, which is housed in the Rec, taking the building over.

"We have to find savings somewhere" John Merry told the meeting "I can assure people that we're working flat out with Broughton Database to get funding."

Broughton Database is keen on taking over the Rec to save it for the community.

"Following an extremely positive meeting on 28th February with Councillor John Merry and Andy Howitt, who is responsible for Culture and Leisure, Broughton Database are currently in discussions with the Council regarding the transfer of Broughton Leisure Centre in order to keep the building open and create opportunities for local people" says Christine Brett, of Broughton Database (HBHG Development Trust)
.
"Some activities will be transferring to Broughton Pool and we are awaiting all the information about the building from the Council in order to put together our proposal" she adds "Once we have all the details we will be consulting with other users, groups and most importantly, the community to ensure the combination of fitness, well-being and learning provision meets community need."

In the meantime, tomorrow's demonstration has been called to show the strength of support to keep Broughton Rec open.

"I think it's disgusting that they're thinking of closing the Rec as it's always been well used" says local resident Madge Kelly "I think Countryside Properties just wants rid of it. They've spent millions down here but they're taking everything away from the children, they'll have nowhere to go."

Anyone wanting to support the Broughton Database proposal can vote for its grant application to do a community consultation and business plan on the Co-op Join the Revolution website. Click here and vote by clicking on 'View All Revolutions', then select 'Benefiting the Community' and projects in the North of England.

Then join SAVE BROUGHTON REC CENTRE demo
Thursday 31st March 5:30-6:30pm
Outside Broughton Rec
Camp Street, M7 1ZT

 

Edmund wrote
at 15:44:28 on 31 March 2011
Will our very own Sheeples Champeen , Blears,be there ? She could be handing out kit-kats , and grinning for the camera.Perhaps , she'll be too busy at the TROUGH- OF - WASTEMINSTER , with the rest of the MPshite.
 
David Henry wrote
at 09:37:46 on 31 March 2011
Hope to see you there! (David Henry, Secretary, Salford Green Party - against ALL CUTS!)
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD
Regards to wrote about Albion. I am well aware of the co-op at Albion, but I was under the impression it was a full TMO. If its no... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
The development is an over development .too many people on the site. Salix got them for nothing. They get £90 a week each fat £450... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
Sorry Joey. If you think Salix homes are a none profit charity, well in a way youre right. They could never ever make a profit whi... [more]
article: SALFORD AUTHORS THIRD DOLPHIN BLOCKBUSTER BOOK EXPOSE
I actually met Capt. Watson in 1972 at a primordial Greenpeace meeting in Washington State, and I've been an admirer of his ever s... [more]
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
People should beware of merely accepting the outward picture of a head’s performance. I worked for a head who was thought by most... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

PEPPA PIG COMMUNISM GRAFFITI GOES SUBVERSIVE IN SALFORD

Star date: 18th July 2018

'COMMUNISM IS FOR THE CHILDREN' SAYS SUBVERSIVE PEPPA PIG

Bizarre graffiti art has appeared near Salford Central Station depicting two delighted looking Peppa Pigs by the slogan 'Communism is for the children'. The art has led to much amusement and bemusement but is probably related to China banning the popular kids' cartoon.

Full details here...

SALFORD TOWERBLOCK CLADDING RESIDENTS UNITE TO TACKLE PENDLETON TOGETHER

Star date: 18th July 2018

SPRUCE COURT AND THORN COURT TENANTS GET ORGANISED TO FIGHT BACK

"We're sick to death of being treated like dirt..."

Last night, tenants from Spruce Court and Thorn Court met to share concerns over dangerous cladding, fire safety, security and other issues, as they united to take on towerblock manager Pendleton Together and Salford City Council, which owns the blocks.

"They try to ignore what we're saying" insisted one tenant "They're complacent... we're sick to death of being treated like dirt...".

Full details here...

SALFORD QUAYS DEVELOPER TO AVOID £1MILLION PAYMENT WHILE NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROVIDED

Star date: 17th July 2018

FURNESS QUAY DEVELOPER PROVIDES NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING ON HUGE APARTMENT SCHEME

Salford's planning scandal is to go up another gear this week when an application by developer De Trafford for 421 apartments in blocks up to 27 storeys high on the site of Furness Quay is considered by councillors. Thanks to Salford City Council policies, the developer will be providing no affordable properties, while, through 'viability' assessments it is set to avoid over £1million in planning fees.

Meanwhile, the English Cities Fund (ECf) is continuing its secrecy in relation to new apartments and an office development around Chapel Street and New Bailey.

Full details here...

A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD

Star date: 16th July 2018

CLADDING, SECURITY, FIRE SAFETY AND MORE TO BE DISCUSSED AT PENDLEON TENANTS MEETING

As the Grenfell Tower victims said, before the tragic fire their warnings were not listened to by the authorities. Now tenants in Spruce Court, Pendleton, who are still living with the dangerous cladding, have called an independent meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday, 17th July, to discuss cladding, security and more, while Thorn Court residents are also complaining about the same issues.

Full details here...

PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION

Star date: 15th July 2018

SCHOOL PROTEST PLANNED OVER HARROP FOLD HEAD AND STAFF SUSPENSION

After Salford City Council suspended Harrop Fold School Head, Drew Povey, and three other staff members last week, supporters have launched a petition to reinstate them, while pupils and parents are planning a protest at the school this Thursday.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx