HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
TESCO VERSUS SALFORD ESTATES PART THREE
 

Star date: 15th October 2010 

STORE WARS!!!

Part 3 – WHAT DO SALFORD PEOPLE THINK?..."Investing in the Precinct would be a better option. You don't need another big Tesco, you don't need it. Not of that size…" Pauline Murray

The Store Wars between Tesco and Salford Estates is hotting up with planning permission being sought for the new superstore next Thursday. As the two heavyweight companies slug it out, we asked market stall holders and shoppers for their views.

How do Salford people feel about the Tesco superstore – will it kill off Salford Precinct?

Click here to find out…


Salford Precinct Salford Precinct Salford Precinct
Salford Precinct salford precinct
click image to enlarge

As Salford Estates' girls go around the Precinct urging people to sign their petitions, people are getting on with their shopping, popping into the pound shops… browsing the market…sipping cups of coffee in one of the cafes.

No-one is pretending that this is the Trafford Centre. And everyone knows that Salford Shopping City is on its arse. It's nine years since Marks and Spencer and WH Smith bailed out of the Precinct, Curries shut down last year, Woolies went bust and even the discount shoe shop has disappeared.

But Salford Shopping City still has its moments – the second hand market is usually busy, there's always a queue at Greggs and no-one in Salford could survive the digital age without the cheap printer ink guy whose stall sits outside Argos. The Precinct is ace for cheap stuff. And it's still the nearest Salford gets to a town centre. It's a meeting place. A public space. But light years off from the original dream of being `Europe's best' precinct.

Salford Estates bought the centre for £40million last March and has promised to invest to bring back `high quality shops'. But the threat from Tesco, they say, "would have a catastrophic impact on local trade, threatening jobs and prosperity". 

Salford Estates is backed up by the Salford branch of the National Market Traders Federation, whose chairman John Winder says "Salford needs investment and a new supermarket, but local people need to come first, not the Tesco shareholders. Their plans are far, far too big, they are isolated from the precinct and will unfairly compete with existing local traders. We've seen in Eccles what damage can be done and we deserve better."

His comments were definitely backed up by most of the people we spoke to. Barbara Walsh, who was signing the `Save Salford' petition told us "I agree with the concept of Tesco but I don't like the idea of the separation – I want the link. I think it's a good idea because we will get jobs with Tesco but I don't agree with two separate entities."

Meanwhile, Pauline Murray and her friend Dianne Jackson were making a rare visit to the Precinct, usually shopping in places like Manchester Fort

"We used to come all the time, when Marks and Spencer's was here but I think when that went it killed a lot of it off" Pauline said "I do think that Tesco will kill it off completely. They need to put more into this to make more people come here. It would be great. Investing in this place would be a better option. You don't need another big Tesco, you don't need it. Not of that size."

Dianne agreed and also blamed the Precinct's downfall on the loss of Marks and Spencer… "Marks and Spencer, definitely and also once the market started dying down. What have you got on here now? New Look and Poundland? The real draw here was the market and that's almost gone.

At the outdoor market, one of the stallholders wasn't actually against the new Tesco superstore at all – "It can't get any worse" he said. His words were echoed by another stallholder in the indoor market who blamed high rents and a lack of investment in the place for ten years. He told us that things were so bad he hadn't drawn a wage since February, and that even if the new owners invested in a new indoor market "I won't be here to see it – it's too late."

Some members of the public who didn't want to be identified seem to agree, telling us "There's not much to save" and "The place can't get any worse". But virtually every stall holder we spoke to was adamant that the Tesco superstore, in its current form, would wipe out their business and destroy the Precinct completely.

"I've been on here nearly forty years which is a long time and if it kills my business what am I going to do after forty years?" said Dave Barratt of Barratt's Butchers "All we want is for Tesco to work with us and everyone will be happy but all they want to do is be over there on their own and cut us all off which will just kill the whole place.

"They're saying it will create jobs but how many jobs will you lose?" he argued "I feel sad really because everyone we work with are good people and it is still a thriving little market. You get the personal touch, you can get anything in here – fresh fish, meat, cheeses everything…but Tesco just want to be on their own. All we want is for people to support the local people."

Paul Newman, at Oscar's Fish and Poultry,would also not be opposed to Tesco if it became a proper part of the Precinct. And at Stranded jewellery stall near Specsavers, Kenneth Howe added… "If they shared the car park between Tesco and the Precinct and no-one had to pay for it I would imagine it would be alright. Everyone is saying that Tesco should be compromising but they're not are they? If the Tesco store goes ahead it's going to be dire in here – it will be like Eccles."

Rachel Roberts who works on the Stranded jewellery stall agreed: "I think Tesco will kill our store off because it will be doing make up and jewellery, so I'm opposed to it."

Kenneth is putting his hopes in Salford Estates… "They must have a plan if they've bought the Precinct because you're not going to invest in this are you. if you know it's going to go belly up."

No-one knows what Salford Estates' Plan B is – but Plan A is in full flow – all out war!!!

We asked Salford City Council Leader John Merry for a comment but he declined.

See Store Wars Part 1 here : The History of Salford Precinct

See Store Wars Part 2 here : The Battle Commences

Photos and interviews by Gareth Lyons

* What's all the fuss about? Why is there such a huge fight over the Precinct between Salford Estates and Tesco?

The answer lies in the UK Shopping Index which ranks 6,721 shopping venues in the country by catchment population. Walkden is ranked 4,226 biggest, Swinton and Eccles come in at 835. But Pendleton comes in at number 428, with more people in its catchment – 71,594 - than Swinton and Eccles put together.
 
The potential for Pendleton is huge, sitting as it does within shopping distance of Charlestown, Lower Kersal, Broughton, Langworthy, Seedley, Pendleton itself, the University and MediaCityUK.

And all those people's wallets are the prize in what could be a battle to the death…

 

 

 

 

 

Brian F Kirkham wrote
at 11:31:56 on 18 October 2010
At Last! I'll keep on banging this drum until someone listens. Thank You Lynn, for confirming what I have known for quite a while. Land, Not what stands on the land determines development in this city. Salford is Indeed a City in its own right. Problem is our neighbours seem to wish to put their sixpence-worth into any credible development for the area. Did you know Peel (owners of most of the quays, Trafford BC, and Manchester CC can now put objections to anything being built here? It's probably why the big snow centre was built slap bang outside the trafford centre instead of its original planned home (Opp. Sainsbury's). Surprising then Mediacity (A Peel Development) went through reletively unscathed - alongside housing developments served to serve Mediacity...Oh I forgot, this was on a Peel Holdings Development - so its going ahead! Another example of how money talks.
 
Lynn Gilchrist wrote
at 10:47:44 on 18 October 2010
What is happening to Salford. Salford is a City, not a conglomerate of Manchester. Please think about what is happening to our City. It has been starved of investment and, in my view, purposely run down. Please let us have a Centre, which puts Salford on the map. Make it a clean, safe environment in which to enjoy shopping, not just a quick park your car, do your shop at Tesco and drive off. Please think of the people who live in the area. I think they are entitled to a "Shopping Centre", where there are a variety of shops to be enjoyed. Also, the market should be given investment and encouragement. Bury still has a thriving market, why has this historical market been allowed to go into decline?
 
john wrote
at 19:57:13 on 15 October 2010
well they said morrisons would kill eccles and i think they were right . they think the proposed tesco superstore will kill the precinct and i think in the future if it gets the go ahead they will be proved right . tesco are out of control correct me if i am wrong but havent they recently purchased the west one sight in eccles tesco know no limits they own one stop shops these shops can appear on any high st and with the buying power of tescos the independant does not stand a chance surely the monopolys commision should be taking a closer look at tesco they are seriously bad news
 
Markus De Rawkus wrote
at 19:56:52 on 15 October 2010
The main problem will be that Tesco is overpriced compared to the existing shops which provide discount goods.It will make the cost of living for many Salford residents too high,people travel from all over Salford to get bargains on the precinct and it will effect the quality of life of thousands,there's cheap food,stationary for school kids,electrical goods,allsorts at the moment.If they are taken away it would put a lot of people under stress especially with the recession hitting the country.there also the Salford Students on a budget which will be affected.It would be a catastrophy for the people of Salford that believe in NOT BEING RIPPED OFF for everyday items....
 
ann bannister wrote
at 14:50:43 on 15 October 2010
If Tesco get the go ahead we should re-name the North West "Tescoland". They have opened a Tesco Express in Monton, there is already a Tesco in Salford Precinct and the huge new one at Walkden. Just how many Tesco's do we need? They are obviously after the monopoly. If Salford Council had pulled their finger out years ago and not let the market get into the states it's in now, maybe the other retailers like Marks & Spencer would not have had to pull out. It was a good shopping experience being able to go onto the market then into M & S, just look at Bury, Oldham, Ashton etc. but they don't have the "Merry Men" running their Councils!!!
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Giraffe
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SWINTON PROTESTS BRING SALFORD COUNCIL AND BELLWAY HOMES TO NEGOTIATING TABLE
cannot wait to buy one!... [more]
article: BUILE HILL PARK HOUSING IS ONLY WAY TO SAVE SALFORD MANSION STATES DEVELOPER
Yet again,Bob the regular misses the point ; is it right to hand over public land to a private property developer?... [more]
article: SALFORD STAR SAVED AS £3,000 RAISED BY THE COMMUNITY
Alice, I don't want to rain on your parade, but three grand, after advertising something for weeks, is peanuts. It's not an unmiti... [more]
article: BUILE HILL PARK HOUSING IS ONLY WAY TO SAVE SALFORD MANSION STATES DEVELOPER
Bob,the costings were not worked out on a beer mat or by a local builder. Salford reds foundation have had a detailed report with ... [more]
article: BUILE HILL PARK HOUSING IS ONLY WAY TO SAVE SALFORD MANSION STATES DEVELOPER
Bob the regular - Just a heads-up, Bob, the Shard cost over £400 million, not £4 million 😉 ... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD RESIDENTS LAUNCH NEW SANTA PROTEST IN RESPONSE TO BELLWAY HOMES LEGAL THREATS TO STOP PROTESTS

Star date: 14th December 2018

AS BELLWAY THREATENS INJUNCTIONS AND FINES, SWINTON RESIDENTS RESPOND WITH SANTA PROTEST

"Saturday is the day for reminding Bellway that we have every right to peaceful assembly on a public footpath..."

Two weeks ago, Bellway Homes' solicitors wrote to the Saving Our Neighbourhood campaign - which is objecting to the company's mad construction of 241 houses off Campbell Road in Swinton - threatening injunctions and fines unless it wrote an 'undertaking' not to "interfere and/or attempt to interfere with Bellway's legitimate commercial interests".

In response, tomorrow at noon, residents will hold a special Santa protest at the site entrance..."It's vital that our community makes it clear that a threat from a multi-billion pound developer...will not scare us into signing away our democratic legal rights" states the group.

Full details here...

£5MILLION RESTORATION PROJECT LAUNCHED FOR SALFORD CHURCH OF ASCENSION

Star date: 13th December 2018

GRADE 2 LISTED LOWER BROUGHTON CHURCH SEES TWO YEAR RESTORATION

A £5million two year restoration project was launched today for the Grade 2 listed Church of the Ascension which was badly damaged in a huge blaze back in February last year.

"It's the only old building left in Lower Broughton, so we think it's very important that we don't take people's memories away" Canon David Wyatt told the Salford Star a month after the fire. Now the church is set to rise from ashes.

Full details here...

THE MOODS PLAY MUSIC FROM THE NORTH AT BAND ON THE WALL

Star date: 12th December 2018

DON'T MISS THE MOODS AND CO THIS SATURDAY!

Music from the North
The Moods, Pleasures, Glove, Falling Ghosts and DJ Stephen Doyle
Saturday 15th December from 7pm
Band On The Wall £10

This Saturday, there's another brilliant Music from the North gig at Band On The Wall hosted by A1M Records, with Salford Star Best Band Award winners, The Moods and a full line-up of upcoming talent. Ian Leslie catches up with Paul Travis of A1M Records to get the gen.

Full details here...

SALFORD PANTO ON THE PARK IN LOWER BROUGHTON

Star date: 11th December 2018

SALFORD CINDERELLA PLUS DANCE TROUPES AND STALLS

Panto On The Park
Sunday 16th December 12noon-3pm
Green Grosvenor Park, Lower Broughton (suggested donation £1-£2)

This Sunday, 16th December, Up Ere Theatre Group will be performing their own version of Salford's Cinderella in a heated marquee at Green Grosvenor Park in Lower Broughton. There'll also be performances from dance troupes Salford Aces, Urban Angels and JD Dance, plus lots of stalls, face painting and more.

Full details here...

SALFORD STAR SAVED AS £3,000 RAISED BY THE COMMUNITY

Star date: 10th December 2018

NIGEL PIVARO CONCLUDES SALFORD STAR FUNDRAISING WITH SALFORD PRECINCT AUCTION

After two auctions, two exhibitions and a pop-up shop over just ten days, the immediate future of the Salford Star has been saved, with around £3,000 raised by the community.

At Salford Shopping Centre yesterday, over £1,000 was raised as actor and long time Salford Star contributor, Nigel Pivaro conducted an auction of Salford relics and memorabilia... "This isn't just about raising money for the Salford Star" said Nigel "It's also symbolic in terms of raising awareness of what we've done over the years...shining the torch where councils, developers and companies don't like it shone..."

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx