HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
CORRIE STAR SUE JENKINS DIRECTS TWO PLAYS AT GREATER MANCHESTER FRINGE
 

Star date: 30th June 2018

SISTERS, WAR AND SALFORD PALS

From Heaven to Hell
Monday 9th July and Saturday 14th July 8pm Footlights Theatre (12/10)
Peg and Bessie
Wednesday 18th-Saturday 21st July 7pm 53two (8)

The Greater Manchester Fringe festival begins tomorrow and, amongst the hundreds of performances, there are two being directed by former Brookside and Coronation Street actress. Ian Leslie gets a taste of what's to come.

Full details here...


Peg and Bessie at GM Fringe
click image to enlarge

Former Brookside (Jackie Corkhill) and Coronation Street (Gloria Todd) actress, Sue Jenkins, is set to direct two plays at this year's GM Fringe Festival; From Heaven to Hell by Danny Clifford, and Peg and Bessie by Drew Tosh.

Sue has been a passionate supporter of the festival and is a familiar face on the fringe scene... "I've always followed the Fringe and, last year, I produced and directed Narcissist in the Mirror, the one woman show, written and performed by Rosie Fleeshman at the Kings Arms and From Heaven to Hell at The Salford Arts Theatre" she says.

It went well, too, with Narcissist in the Mirror picking up the award for Best Spoken Word Show. This year, Sue returns once again to pass on the benefit of her knowledge to some new, upcoming talent. And, the two pieces couldn't be more different, as Sue enthuses...

"Peg and Bessie is a lovely piece about two sisters, two great characters, in many ways they are like chalk and cheese" she explains "It's funny, uplifting and moving. We travel a journey with them and probably we all know a few characters like these two!"

The returning From Heaven to Hell again has Sue at the helm. Understandably, it was a popular feature in the Salford Star last year with the story of the Salford Pals regiment at its core.

From Heaven to Hell delivered a brutal tale of heroism in macabre fashion. The play, and its gallows humour, went down a storm and it's good to see it return in an extended format...

"I directed the one act version in last year's GM Fringe which was so well received" Sue recalls "This is the two act version and it's good to find out even more about these characters. It's a lovely play and although it's set in the First World War, it has lots of comedy because of the great characters."

It clear that Sue is energised by the upcoming festival; "I love the sheer passion of it all and the idea of everyone just getting involved and stuck into a project, just because they love it" she says "I remember being amazed at how many people actually came to see both plays last year. We had really great audiences at every performance. There is great support for the GM Fringe."

Although responsible for characters that are familiar to countless households throughout Britain, Sue is revelling in her role as director and seems to have natural talent for steering a production..."I have to admit that I really enjoy, as a director, being responsible for the whole project, being such a part of the creative team and process, rather than taking care of an individual role"

While directing is becoming more frequent, we can expect to see Sue back on our screens in the not too distant future, "Narcissist in the Mirror is going to the Edinburgh Fringe so, of course, I'll be 'seeing that in" she says "We then follow with a short Autumn UK tour. Then I hope to go off diving in September; it's too cold in the U.K. I've also recently been involved in a new sitcom for the BBC [as an actor] and hoping that the rumour of the second series actually happens."

From Heaven to Hell
Monday 9th July and Saturday 14th July 8pm
Footlights Theatre
48 Kansas Avenue
Media City UK M50 2GL (12/10)

Peg and Bessie
Wednesday 18th-Saturday 21st July 7pm
53two
8 Albion Street, Manchester M1 5NZ (8)

For tickets and further information on the whole GM Fringe see www.greatermanchesterfringe.co.uk


Words by Ian Leslie

Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Friends of Kersal Moor
Salford Star Benefit
Salford Star CD
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
I am a sparky by trade and years ago used to work on licensed premises, and as part of the licensing procedure, a fire brigade saf... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
It is a bit like pass the parcel, or musical chairs this blame game. Except the consequences are serious. Could it be Bob's brainw... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
I think I might have been barking up the wrong tree before, but I still think I am in the right Forrest. In a test case in 2012, k... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
Bob the reģular,I fear you have watched too many conspiracy thrlĺers;Mayor Dennett has come up with the money because... [more]
article: OVER 100,000 SALFORD PARENT SCHOOL FINES NOT GOING BACK INTO SCHOOLS
Schools are now run mainly by people who can only remember the days since New Labour when the state education system was treated e... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

OVER 100,000 SALFORD PARENT SCHOOL FINES NOT GOING BACK INTO SCHOOLS

Star date: 15th November 2018

CASH-STRAPPED SALFORD SCHOOLS NOT BENEFITING FROM PARENTAL FINES

A Freedom of Information response from Salford City Council has revealed that during the year 2017-18, 118,920 income was received from parental fines but didn't go directly to help cash-strapped schools in the city. Instead the money went to 'support council services generally'.

"I think the money should go back into education as the lack of funding is clearly apparent" says parent Mandi Lee, who put in the FOI request.

Full details here...

SALFORD CITY COUNCIL TO FINALLY TIGHTEN UP ON PUPPY SELLERS

Star date: 14th November 2018

NEW REGULATIONS MEAN TIGHTER CONTROL OF ANIMAL BUSINESSES

New laws on the sales and keeping of animals mean that Salford City Council will be forced to tighten up on regulating puppy sellers and animal keepers through new national regulations.

One of the biggest changes is that a puppy at a breeder's "may only be shown to a prospective purchaser if it is together with its biological mother", and that inspections of premises are to be carried out by a qualified inspector, rather than the Council's Environment Health Team.

Full details here...

SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022

Star date: 13th November 2018

PENDLETON TENANTS ARE FOUR YEARS FROM SAFETY

The nine blocks of dangerous flats in Pendleton, owned by Salford City Council and managed by Pendleton Together, won't be safe as buildings until 2022, according to the latest accounts posted by Pendleton Together Operating Ltd.

External cladding work, the accounts state, will be completed by 2021 but other internal fire safety measures won't be complete until 2022. Meanwhile, the company recorded a loss of 23.5million last year, and adds that the "cost of further works are estimated to be 35.5million".

Full details here...

PEEL HOLDINGS REFUSED PERMISSION TO BUILD HOUSING ON SALFORD GREENWAY BY SECRETARY OF STATE

Star date: 12th November 2018

SECRETARY OF STATE DISMISSES PEEL HOLDINGS APPEAL TO BUILD 600 HOUSES ON WORSLEY GREENWAY

This morning, the Secretary of State at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has dismissed Peel Holdings' appeal against Salford City Council's refusal to allow the company to build up to 600 houses in the Broad Oak area of the Worsley Greenway.

The Secretary of State agreed with the Inspector that "the proposals would impact negatively on the character and appearance of the Greenway". Noel Gaskell, from RAID, the community group that opposed the development, told the Salford Star "It shows want can be achieved when the general public put their minds to stopping developments that would cause huge problems to the residents."

Full details here...

SALFORD UNIVERSAL CREDIT CLAIMANT TOLD TO LIVE ON 47 A WEEK

Star date: 12th November 2018

'HOW AM I GOING TO MANAGE? I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE...'

A Salford Universal credit claimant has been told that she must live on just 47 per week, or 190 per month, after 'migrating' from Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)... "How am I going to manage? I haven't got a clue" she tells the Salford Star.

This latest disgusting poverty setback comes on top of the shock of her father dying from a heart attack while waiting for a DWP appeal, after being told he was fit for work. His case, in retrospect, is being heard by an upper tribunal this week.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx