HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SQUATTERS OCCUPY GARY NEVILLE HOUSES IN MANCHESTER
 

Star date: 11th June 2018

ACTIVISTS AND HOMELESS FACE EVICTION BY NEVILLE

Activists and homeless people have occupied two Grade 2 listed houses owned by Gary Neville on St John Street in Manchester to highlight the Salford City FC joint owner's role in the gentrification of Manchester and refusal to publish Section 106 'viability assessments'.

Last Friday a judge granted Neville a possession order and the squatters are braced for eviction.

Full details here...


Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester
Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester Gary Neville houses squatted in Manchester
click image to enlarge

In the posh area of St John Street in Manchester, a clenched fist banner and a Palestinian flag are flying from two Grade 2 listed buildings which are about to be turned into more luxury accommodation.

Homeless people and activists have occupied the properties for over a week to highlight the lack of affordable housing in the city and Gary Neville's role in that, both though his developments like these houses and his directorship with Zerum Construction Management Ltd, which has represented developers in the planning process avoid Section 106 planning contributions and the provision of affordable housing.

In Salford, Zerum has represented Middlewood Locks and Peel Holdings which has led to the loss of millions of pounds in contributions through the use of 'viability assessments'. In Manchester, the huge and ultra controversial St Michael's development avoided providing any Section 106 contributions for fees and affordable houses at the behest of the Council which has a stake in the land.

"As well as having a place to stay, we're here to highlight that all Gary Neville's plans revolve around gentrification and profiting" one of the occupiers told the Salford Star "He markets himself as being a working class lad but his involvement around the city doesn't show that.

"He should be doing more for affordable housing and publishing his Section 106 viability assessments" they added "He's also providing advice for other developers through Zerum. We hope to influence his behaviour, to do more for the area instead of being 'profit Neville'."

Indeed, the squatters, or 'persons unknown', have published an open letter to Gary Neville, via Lousy Badger Media...

"If he does not have his viability assessments, or the same has been wavered by councils due to introduction of funds through land purchases, then we want all documents in relation to the same showing the considerations for public services and affordable housing" it reads

"The publication of 106 documentation would go towards aiding an understanding
why affordable housing is not being commissioned around Manchester City
centre and transparency in city wide developments" it adds.

"...The social fabric of Manchester has always been one of the deepest rooted working class regions in the country, the birth of the industrial working class revolution and the home of the suffragette movement" it continues "We feel Neville's plans are the antithesis of these roots spawning massive gentrification in the city centre and ultimately directly impacting the lack of affordable housing in the region and displacement of the working class in exchange for luxury, profit driven housing developments..."

The response by Gary Neville was a successful application for a possession order for the properties, granted by a judge at the Manchester Civil Justice Centre last Friday, and the occupiers are braced for an eviction any day.

"We hoped we could get him to ask himself 'Could I be doing more to help affordable housing in Manchester?' and to put pressure on him, so he can do more for the people of Manchester" said one of the squatters "So far, none of his behaviour reflects that."

Indeed, another of the occupiers stressed that the court papers included a photo of the community board outside the buildings highlighting rights for cleaners in precarious jobs, rights for migrants and a strong anti-racism message..


"This progressive narrative and community engagement was used as something to try and discredit us" they explained "It reveals the mindset of Gary Neville and his partners..."


To read the full open letter see the Lousy Badger Media Facebook page click here

See also previous Salford Star article - Salford Council Wins Gary Neville Finger In Pies Award - click here

Main photo shows 'Persons Unknown' turning their back on the system

Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Friends of Kersal Moor
Salford Star Benefit
Salford Star CD
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
I am a sparky by trade and years ago used to work on licensed premises, and as part of the licensing procedure, a fire brigade saf... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
It is a bit like pass the parcel, or musical chairs this blame game. Except the consequences are serious. Could it be Bob's brainw... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
I think I might have been barking up the wrong tree before, but I still think I am in the right Forrest. In a test case in 2012, k... [more]
article: SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022
Bob the reģular,I fear you have watched too many conspiracy thrlĺers;Mayor Dennett has come up with the money because... [more]
article: OVER 100,000 SALFORD PARENT SCHOOL FINES NOT GOING BACK INTO SCHOOLS
Schools are now run mainly by people who can only remember the days since New Labour when the state education system was treated e... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

OVER 100,000 SALFORD PARENT SCHOOL FINES NOT GOING BACK INTO SCHOOLS

Star date: 15th November 2018

CASH-STRAPPED SALFORD SCHOOLS NOT BENEFITING FROM PARENTAL FINES

A Freedom of Information response from Salford City Council has revealed that during the year 2017-18, 118,920 income was received from parental fines but didn't go directly to help cash-strapped schools in the city. Instead the money went to 'support council services generally'.

"I think the money should go back into education as the lack of funding is clearly apparent" says parent Mandi Lee, who put in the FOI request.

Full details here...

SALFORD CITY COUNCIL TO FINALLY TIGHTEN UP ON PUPPY SELLERS

Star date: 14th November 2018

NEW REGULATIONS MEAN TIGHTER CONTROL OF ANIMAL BUSINESSES

New laws on the sales and keeping of animals mean that Salford City Council will be forced to tighten up on regulating puppy sellers and animal keepers through new national regulations.

One of the biggest changes is that a puppy at a breeder's "may only be shown to a prospective purchaser if it is together with its biological mother", and that inspections of premises are to be carried out by a qualified inspector, rather than the Council's Environment Health Team.

Full details here...

SALFORD FIRE HAZARD BLOCKS IN PENDLETON WONT BE SAFE UNTIL 2022

Star date: 13th November 2018

PENDLETON TENANTS ARE FOUR YEARS FROM SAFETY

The nine blocks of dangerous flats in Pendleton, owned by Salford City Council and managed by Pendleton Together, won't be safe as buildings until 2022, according to the latest accounts posted by Pendleton Together Operating Ltd.

External cladding work, the accounts state, will be completed by 2021 but other internal fire safety measures won't be complete until 2022. Meanwhile, the company recorded a loss of 23.5million last year, and adds that the "cost of further works are estimated to be 35.5million".

Full details here...

PEEL HOLDINGS REFUSED PERMISSION TO BUILD HOUSING ON SALFORD GREENWAY BY SECRETARY OF STATE

Star date: 12th November 2018

SECRETARY OF STATE DISMISSES PEEL HOLDINGS APPEAL TO BUILD 600 HOUSES ON WORSLEY GREENWAY

This morning, the Secretary of State at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has dismissed Peel Holdings' appeal against Salford City Council's refusal to allow the company to build up to 600 houses in the Broad Oak area of the Worsley Greenway.

The Secretary of State agreed with the Inspector that "the proposals would impact negatively on the character and appearance of the Greenway". Noel Gaskell, from RAID, the community group that opposed the development, told the Salford Star "It shows want can be achieved when the general public put their minds to stopping developments that would cause huge problems to the residents."

Full details here...

SALFORD UNIVERSAL CREDIT CLAIMANT TOLD TO LIVE ON 47 A WEEK

Star date: 12th November 2018

'HOW AM I GOING TO MANAGE? I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE...'

A Salford Universal credit claimant has been told that she must live on just 47 per week, or 190 per month, after 'migrating' from Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)... "How am I going to manage? I haven't got a clue" she tells the Salford Star.

This latest disgusting poverty setback comes on top of the shock of her father dying from a heart attack while waiting for a DWP appeal, after being told he was fit for work. His case, in retrospect, is being heard by an upper tribunal this week.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx