HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD MINERS REMEMBERED AT AGECROFT MEMORIAL
 

Star date: 22nd April 2018

RESPECT PAID TO IRWELL VALLEY MINERS

Yesterday, former miners, families and trade unionists gathered at the Agecroft Colliery monument to pay respects to those who lost their lives down the pits...

"Today means everything, it's the only way we can pay back what they did for you" said Jackie Rimmer, whose father died down Agecroft Colliery in 1963.

Full details here...


Salford Miners Memorial Agecroft Colliery Salford Miners Memorial Agecroft Colliery
click image to enlarge

Salford's now annual memorial and celebration of miners who lost their lives in the Irwell Valley pits took place yesterday at the Agecroft Colliery monument on Agecroft Road.

Former miners, their families and trade unionists attended the short service, with a minute's silence, prayers by Father Michael Fish, and the names of those men and boys who died in the area's mines recalled by Paul Kelly of the Irwell Valley Mining Project...

"We're here to remember the sacrifices that the miners of Great Britain made, particularly in this area" he said "They went down into the earth to bring out the coal to look after our lives and make us the civilisation that we've got today."

Amongst those who attended was Jackie Rimmer, whose father, John James Saunders, died at the pit in 1963, aged just 44...

"Today means everything" she explained "It's the only way we can pay back what they did for you. The miners are a forgotten 'race', especially by the Tories; they've no respect for miners at all. Winston Churchill said 'Put them down the mines and shut the lid'...

"As a child I didn't understand the politics of it all, but they had no rights" she added "They had no respect but when you see motorists passing here today and beeping their horns in support it says a lot."

The Salford miners memorial was a forerunner to a week of worldwide services as part of International Workers Memorial Day with a wreath laying at Salford Civic Centre on Friday 27th April at 12:15pm.

There's also the annual 'Remember The Dead, Fight For The Living' event at Albert Square, Manchester next Saturday, 28th April between 12 noon and 1pm, organised by Greater Manchester Hazards Centre. For further information see the Facebook event page – click here.


mr neil rimmer wrote
at 07:34:39 on 25 April 2018
i did not come from a mining family, but when I meet Jackie I heard lots of terrible stories what happened in the coal mines, people should be proud of them, because like Jackie said while everyone was calling them and not giving support, they were still putting coal on there fires to stay warm !!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADS AND THANKYOU FRO EVERYTHING YOU ALL DO
 
fletcher wrote
at 12:52:08 on 23 April 2018
I was privileged to have been able to visit underground a number of Lancashire collieries, including Agecroft. I have always believed that if everyone had been taken on a visit down a mine [I realise that really wouldn’t be possible] the general public's opinion of miners would have been totally changed. Anyone who has seen them at work would always support them.
 
wrote
at 12:52:03 on 23 April 2018
My great Grandfather worked down the mines at Agecroft Colliery. I never met him as he died in the 1950s 30 odd years before I was born. Though I do recall my Gran telling me about him and the conditions he and the others had to work in. My Gran told me about when he died and how she had to wash his body so he could be laid out in the living room (they were allowed to do that in them days), and that she noticed his back was badly pitted because of pieces of the tunnel falling on him over the years. Lucky for him he was able to change job to paint and decorator later on and escape it. It's a shame for all those who couldn't, even more of a shame for those who died there. These people kept the furnaces of British industry burning, it's only right they be remembered for what they did and what they endured!
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Giraffe
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
How many of these people complaining will go out and vote labour in the next election? The only way to stop this vote them out and... [more]
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
Bob makes sense but after the Westminster shambles this week who knows how the public will vote come elections. Labour may be thro... [more]
article: STRANGE HEADLINES AND CUTS QUOTAS AT SALFORD CITY COUNCIL
Rossi,what do I know about you? I) You've got a personality disorder. II) You post views that you don't believe in ! III) You cra... [more]
article: ‘CONCERN’ OVER SALFORD CITY COUNCIL NURSERIES
Have our council not learned any lessons about outsourcing? Urban vision? Carrilion? Can these people not come up with some scheme... [more]
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
What a nice bunch of pleasant type dissidents you seem to have here. They are all wasting their time here though. Dennetts mob wil... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

ECCLES HOMELESS SHELTER COURT CASE SET FOR END OF JANUARY

Star date: 18th January 2019

TOOTHBRUSHES AND SOCKS FOR THE HOMELESS

On 9th January at the Manchester Civil Justice Centre, the judge allowed an eight day extension for those homeless people currently occupying the old doctor's surgery in Eccles. The case has now been set for the end of January, giving them an extra two weeks to prepare a legal defence.

Meanwhile this week, the Salford Unemployed and Community Resource Centre, which is helping the Shelter, took delivery of loads of pairs of thick winter socks and around one hundred toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes donated towards its new Medical and Dental Surgery for the homeless and ex-offenders.

Full details here...

SALFORD GRADE II LISTED VICTORIA THEATRE STEP CLOSER TO BEING SAVED

Star date: 17th January 2019

NEW OWNER CONSIDERS RESTORATION PLANS FOR LOWER BROUGHTON THEATRE

After Lower Broughton's 'at risk' Grade II listed Victoria Theatre was sold last year, there were fears that it would be pulled down for development but the Salford Victoria Theatre Trust has today announced that its new owner "has engaged with the group to seek out a way forward, even vowing to consider plans to restore it for its original purpose".

The Trust is now putting together a business plan and pitch to present to the owner at the end of the month, with a meeting planned with Salford City Council next month to discuss the theatre's future.

Full details here...

COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING

Star date: 16th January 2019

'IT'S THROWING RESIDENTS TO THE WOLVES OF RAMPANT DEVELOPMENT'

Before a full meeting of Salford Council this morning, residents campaigning against development on green spaces in the city held a demonstration outside the Civic Centre.

Representatives of campaigns including from Campbell Road, Duncan Matheson, Walkden and Buile Hill Park then went into the meeting to hear City Mayor, Paul Dennett, say that the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework was "protecting green belt and green spaces", after Carol Boyce of Saving Our Neighbourhood had accused the Council of "throwing residents to the wolves of rampant development".

Full details here...

NEVER MIND THE BREXITS HERE’S THERESA PUPPET BY CABINET OF MILLIONAIRES

Star date: 16th January 2019

SALFORD ACTOR CLAY WHITTER STARS IN THERESA VIDEO

As Theresa May balances on the political precipice, Cabinet of Millionaires has issued its Theresa track and video which sonically destroys her policies on homelessness, austerity and more.

Theresa stars Salford artist and actor, Clay Whitter, as a homeless bloke trying to make a buck out of a dancing Theresa puppet – it says it all, never mind the Brexits.

Full details here...

‘CONCERN’ OVER SALFORD CITY COUNCIL NURSERIES

Star date: 14th January 2019

'CONCERN' AS SALFORD COUNCIL NURSERIES PUT OUT TO TENDER

In a letter to Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, the Save Our Salford Nurseries Campaign has expressed concern that the uncertainty and "slow progress" over the future of the five outstanding Council nurseries "has had a significant impact on the staff and service".

The nurseries were put out to tender last month, and the Campaign, while inviting the Mayor to a meeting at the end of this month, warns him that "A privatised option has been shown to lead to problems of cost, delivery and long term viability".

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx