HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
DID A HOMELESS MAN DIE IN A DOORWAY IN MANCHESTER PICCADILLY?
 

Star date: 22nd December 2017

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO FIND DETAILS OF HOMELESS DEATHS Ė IS THERE A COVER UP?

"I could tell just by the colour of his skin and his face there there was something drastically wrong...I just thought 'He's gone, he's dead'..." Pat, outreach worker

On Sunday night, Pat, a voluntary outreach worker with Salford Manchester Street Support, was convinced that a man she found lying lifeless in a doorway in Piccadilly, Manchester, had died in the cold. The subsequent post went viral on social media, as the organisation was told by Greater Manchester Police to take it down.

Did the man die? Did he survive? It's almost impossible for the press or anyone else to find out. Is there a cover up going on?

Full details here...


Andy Burnham meets homeless after being elected GMP Facebook post
click image to enlarge

Last Sunday, around 7:30pm, Pat, a voluntary outreach worker for Salford Manchester Street Support, was walking through Piccadilly in Manchester checking on homeless people sleeping in doorways to see if they were ok as the temperature dropped.

"You just do it naturally" she explains "As I was going through town I'd seen two people in the doorway next to McDonald's, and in the next doorway was a guy who wasn't sleeping; I knew that because of the way he lay and I could tell just by the colour of his skin and his face there was something drastically wrong...

"I just thought 'He's gone, he's dead', and then the guy in front of me stopped at the same time as I did" she recalls "He reached down into the doorway...I had to look away. I kept looking back, waiting for a breath or a pulse, anything.

"An ambulance came and took him away but I didn't speak to the guy, so didn't know whether he had managed to get him breathing or not" Pat adds "But to me it was too late, it looked like he'd gone..."

Salford Manchester Street Support posted an account of what had happened, only to be messaged by a member of Greater Manchester Police, telling them to take it down, to stop 'rumours' spreading.

Meanwhile, GMP social media moved to dispel the 'rumour'... "We are aware of social media posts saying a 'homeless' man was found dead in Piccadilly last night. We are aware of a man found collapsed in that area on Friday night, who remains in a poorly condition in hospital, but we are not aware of any deaths over the weekend..."

The Salford Star spoke to a very distraught Pat the day after the incident. She is trained to spot the signs of someone collapsed through Spice, and she was convinced that this was no overdose. So what happened to the bloke and is he, to put it horribly bluntly, dead or alive?

The North West Ambulance Service confirmed to the Salford Star that the man was picked up on Sunday night and taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary (MRI) but wouldn't give any more details.

The Star also contacted Greater Manchester Police press office which only responded yesterday stating "Looking on our logs there isn't anything that corresponds with this", which is hardly a definitive answer.

Meanwhile, despite calls to the MRI press office, the Star has still not received any response, apart from that they are 'trying to find out'.

How difficult can it be for all parties to say whether this guy found in Piccadilly is dead or alive? The Salford Star also heard last week that two different homeless people had died out in the cold in Manchester. Again, it was almost impossible to get any definitive answers, with GMP asking for times and places of the incidents, and the hospitals asking for dates of birth and names.

As far as the Salford Star can ascertain, there are no definitive figures on street homeless deaths in Greater Manchester...

"I think it's a cover up" says Pat "I think there's an order from the Government, or police or councils, whoever, not to report the numbers of people dying. They don't want people to know how many people are dying on the street.

"Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham, is saying 'It's ok we're going to do something about it', so the public don't do anything, and think these people are alright; but they're not" she adds "He isn't doing anything to help them. Six people sleeping in a fire station? We know twenty on the streets who we see regularly, and lots of others who are drifting in and out of the city centre."

Angela Barratt, from Salford Manchester Street Support, who has just won an Award from Salford CVS for her work with the homeless, insists: "We need to know who these people are who have died. It's not fair. They're someone's children at the end of the day.

"No matter how much training you have, it's heartbreaking" she adds "I've been to a few funerals of homeless people and there's only been me there. Why should they have to die on the streets in 2017, in one of the richest countries in the world? This is Dark Age Britain."

Meanwhile, Pat, who is still clearly upset, and still bereft of proper answers as to what happened to the homeless guy lying lifeless in the Piccadilly doorway, is also angry...

"How many more?" she asks "After Universal Credit is rolled out there will be more evictions and where will those people end up? The problem is going to be ten times worse very soon..."

In the meantime, it should not be beyond the bounds of GM Mayor, Andy Burnham, and his Lead for Homelessness, Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, to produce figures, made available to the public, of how many homeless people have died on the streets of Greater Manchester.

Until this happens, there will continue to be confusion, rumours and allegations of a cover up...


See also previous Salford Star article on five demands to GM Mayor, Andy Burnham, from the squat opposite Manchester Town Hall Ė click here

wendy wrote
at 08:22:47 on 28 December 2017
so sad to hear this news its disgusting i hope salford star can get to the bottom of this.

Friend wrote
at 06:48:47 on 27 December 2017
I'm a friend of that homeless man would like to know if he is dead or a live. Instead of people living on the street and having to break in to building you should open the houses that are empty. People would help do them up for free if it saves lives. Why do we hear about all the crime but not about people WHO have past away is it because their homeless

Gareth L wrote
at 18:55:29 on 24 December 2017
Any update?

Bob wrote
at 18:15:15 on 22 December 2017
They cannot hide this one. But why are they being do evasive? Sad as it is, it is a fact of life that people die from the cold on our streets, homeless people especially. It's totally wrong in this day and age.If someone has passed away in these circumstances, the coroners office has to be informed. I feel confident that the ambulance service personnel are one of the few public bodies that the public can trust to tell the truth in this day and age, so we will find out. then again, why the cover up?

Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SECRECY REIGNS AT SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OVER FUTURE OF SWINTON, PENDLETON, CHARLESTOWN, LOWER BROUGHTON AND ORDSALL
Transparency??? Wasn't when I worked for them isn't now. Precinct a joke. Going into such decline and 5he powers that be are letti... [more]
article: SECRECY REIGNS AT SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OVER FUTURE OF SWINTON, PENDLETON, CHARLESTOWN, LOWER BROUGHTON AND ORDSALL
Is it me or is it getting darker around swinton with ALL these shady dealings going on. There is no Democracy in the labour party... [more]
article: DEMOLITION TEAM MOVES IN ON SALFORD DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS
Maybe the gasworks could have been saved and put into a Salford theme park or a living "Life and Death in Salford" museum. They co... [more]
article: SALFORD MP SHOULD BE DESELECTED AFTER KEEPING TORIES IN POWER SAYS CONSTITUENT
Time to get rid of these Tory stooges - no one believes in a Tory Brexit anymore!... [more]
article: CHINESE TO TAKE OVER AJ BELL STADIUM AND LAND, WHILE INVESTING IN BUILE HILL MANSION SALFORD PUBLIC MEETING HEARS
Mr.Rossi, You really are an appalling character. Faced with a comment that provides facts which clearly refute your allegations a... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SECRECY REIGNS AT SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OVER FUTURE OF SWINTON, PENDLETON, CHARLESTOWN, LOWER BROUGHTON AND ORDSALL

Star date: 17th August 2018

SWINTON 'TRANSFORMATION'...PENDLETON 'PHASE 2'... CHARLESTOWN 'OPTIONS' AND MORE ALL BEING DECIDED BEHIND CLOSED DOORS

Did you know that there's a 'Masterplan' for Swinton's 'Transformation'? Or that there are plans proceeding about development in Charlestown, Pendleton, Ordsall and the Cambridge Industrial area in Lower Broughton? No? We're not surprised.

It's all happening behind closed doors at Salford City Council; the same council that prides itself on so-called 'transparency'.

Full details here...

WORKPLACE PARKING LEVY ONE OF THE OPTIONS AS GREATER MANCHESTER CONSIDERS CLEAN AIR ZONES

Star date: 16th August 2018

GMCA TRIES TO AVOID VEHICLE CHARGES FOR CLEAN AIR ZONES

Today, Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) is meeting to discuss options for reducing air pollution in the region. The Government has identified charge based Clean Air Zones as the benchmark, and unless the GMCA can come up with an alternative plan to reduce emissions quickly, charging polluting vehicles will be on the cards. A 'workplace parking levy' is one of the options.

Full details here...

CHINESE TO TAKE OVER AJ BELL STADIUM AND LAND, WHILE INVESTING IN BUILE HILL MANSION SALFORD PUBLIC MEETING HEARS

Star date: 15th August 2018 

BUILE HILL MANSION SUPPORT GROUP MEETING HEARS OF 'CHINESE' PLANS FOR SALFORD

Over the last few months, rumours of a Chinese buyout of the AJ Bell Stadium and its land, hand outs for the Buile Hill Mansion and a possible plan for a Salford Red Devils takeover have been louder than bombs. At last night's meeting of the Buile Hill Mansion Support Group, these plans were aired in public for the first time.

Full details here...

DISTRAUGHT SALFORD DAUGHTER CANíT GET TO FAMILY GRAVE AT ST PAULíS CHURCH IN KERSAL

Star date: 14th August 2018

A TALE OF TWO CUSSONS, HIGH BRAMBLES AND IMPERIAL LEATHER

At the front of St Paul's Churchyard in Kersal, the first neat and tidy grave you come across is that of Alexander Cussons and famous family. However the grave of the less famous William Evans, who produced the first ever bar of Imperial Leather soap, is at the very back of the yard and totally inaccessible, literally buried beneath 6ft high weeds and brambles.

William Evans' great granddaughter, Lesley Northall, is distraught as she wants to add her mother's ashes to the site but can't get near it. This isn't just the tale of two Cussons gurus but also of a church struggling for resources.

Full details here...

SALFORD ROAD CHAOS LOOMS FOR A YEAR

Star date: 13th August 2018

JOURNEY TIMES TO DOUBLE AS £15MILLION 'IMPROVEMENT SCHEME' BEGINS

On 29th August, the £15million Manchester and Salford Inner Relief Route improvement scheme begins which is set to last a year and double journey times around Regent Road, from Oldfield Road to the Mancunian Way, which will see roads reduced to one lane in places.

The work is expected to have knock-on delays to other routes including around the M602, East Lancs Road and Trinity Way.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx