HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS FAIL NEW GOVERNMENT CLADDING TESTS
 

Star date:28th July 2017

NINE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL PENDLETON BLOCKS LATEST FIRE SAFETY FAIL

Salford Council's nine Pendleton blocks are thought to be the only publicly owned residential buildings in the country to fail the latest Government fire safety tests on cladding and insulation systems.

While the Govenment won't identify the sixty buildings that have failed, last night the Council issued a statement confirming "that the cladding and insulation system used at the nine Pendleton blocks has failed their latest tests."

Full details here...


Salford Council's nine blocks, run by Pendleton Together, have failed the new Government fire safety test which examined cladding and insulation systems. The BBC reported this morning that sixty blocks throughout the country, including private and housing association buildings had failed the tests - but Salford's are thought to be the only local council owned blocks to feature.

Last night Salford Council issued a statement confirming the fact... "The Department for Communities and Local Government has now informed Salford City Council that the cladding and insulation system used at the nine Pendleton blocks has failed their latest tests."

Deputy Mayor and new Salford 'fire tsar', Councillor John Merry says; "We had prepared in advance for the test results and Pendleton Together, which is responsible for managing the Pendleton blocks, is already undertaking works to remove and replace the cladding system. We are focusing on doing what it takes to make the buildings safe and decisive steps have been taken to progress a permanent solution.

"Residents need and deserve this reassurance" he adds "We are fully committed to ensuring that our buildings meet the highest standards, continuing the commitment to develop a vibrant, attractive neighbourhood.

"Until the permanent solution is confirmed, the insulation is being protected from the weather with cement boards" he explains "This is a temporary measure recommended by technical advisors. Testing has been arranged in August to ensure that the permanent replacement meets the necessary safety standards.

"In the meantime, we will continue to work closely with Pendleton Together and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and will implement any further measures recommended in respect of fire safety" he says "We will also respond to any recommendations that emerge from the Grenfell Tower investigation."

The Salford Star understands that behind the scenes possible legal action is being considered by Salford Council against either contractors or sub contractors who worked on the blocks, which include Thorn Court, Spruce Court and Whitebeam Court.

Meanwhile, minutes of last week's scrutiny meeting on fire safety, in which the public was barred from what is usually a public meeting (see here), have still not been made available to the public. Neither have any of the fire safety reports that have been concluded.

Salford City Council, it appears, is trying to manage information available to residents of the blocks, while constantly 'reassuring' them...

...But residents are getting more and more furious.

Residents hit out at Pendleton Together and Salford Council - click here
   

Cladding Wonder Woman wrote
at 2:20:20 PM on Monday, July 31, 2017
Hi Wrote, your quite right. I read Mr. Felse's comment incorrectly. My apologies to Mr. Felse. But there are quite a few disabled people living within Arthur Millwood and the opposite block, however the landlord refuses to move them to safety.
 
wrote
at 1:48:53 AM on Monday, July 31, 2017
Cladding sorry but I did not read Mr Felse as saying there are no disabled. It reads to me instead he asks Council that very question.
 
Cladding Wonder Woman wrote
at 1:22:08 PM on Sunday, July 30, 2017
Hi Mr. Felse. Where do you get your information from? There is a disabled lad in a wheelchair living on the top floor of the other Tower Block on the Islington Estate which is also fitted with highly combustible cladding and a gas powered heating system. There are also two Mobility Scooter users, living on the upper floors in the Arthur Millwood Block. One of the disabled adults took the Salford Council too court and won because they were being stopped from moving by the Salford Council. My neighbour informs me that even after winning the case, the Salford Council are not going to let the disabled relocate. I am new to Salford and do not always believe what I read, but the Salford Star did cover the court case story on the 19 / 04 / 2017. So Mr. Felse how can you wrongly inform the general public that there are no disabled people living in these high rise blocks with combustable cladding and a combined gas operated boiler. I already know of three. It is also obvious that even though I have not been reading the Salford Star for long I seem to know more than you. If you would like to help us at Arthur Millwood how about getting us a real fire safety inspection with the real fire service.
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 5:02:30 AM on Saturday, July 29, 2017
Kevin deserves answers from the Salford Council top man. I also demand assurance that no person with a disability or young child is living in the said high rises as a priority answer, for an obvious reason. I am writing to the Mayor of Greater Manchester and to Leader of my political party to call for an open public inquiry. I want Salford safe and It is the duty of us all to demand nothing less for our City neighbours.
 
Leon wrote
at 1:26:56 AM on Saturday, July 29, 2017
It's amusing to hear councillors talking like heroes. "...Residents need and deserve this reassurance" - "We are fully committed to ensuring that our buildings meet the highest standards, continuing the commitment to develop a vibrant, attractive neighbourhood.." Are not the same councillors part of the "cartel" of local politicians who allocated the funds and signed of on planning applications to clad these buildings in flammable materials in the first place?
 
Kevin wrote
at 1:18:22 PM on Friday, July 28, 2017
So a new system will be tested in August, and maybe installed in September? How is this possible on Spruce or Thorn when there's not even any scaffolding being put up which will take a month or so in any event! Seems ridiculous to put concrete up if a new system is only months away.Also, why are the true high rises like Thorn and Spruce not being prioritised as these are the blocks where the fireman's ladders won't reach!
 
wrote
at 1:18:12 PM on Friday, July 28, 2017
He's at it again, the urger! has anyone ever taken note and acted on his urgings and demands.
 
Gareth L wrote
at 11:37:34 AM on Friday, July 28, 2017
Why am I not surprised!!!! - am sure the people in the council behind this will not fall on their swords. We are fortuante that Salford Council's dealings have not resulted in our own Grenfell. Perhaps they will stop rolling over and wagging thier tail to the developers, without proper scrutiny.
 
Cladding Wonder Woman wrote
at 11:37:26 AM on Friday, July 28, 2017
How can this happen? The Salford Fire Service have to check and inspect a building when it has just been built or refurbished. Were the Salford Fire Brigade walking with their eyes closed thoughout the full inspection? And it's all well and good discussing the cladding on the Pendleton Blocks, but what about my block, Arthur Millwood. You remember that our block featured in a documentary a few weeks ago, broadcasted on ITV. We don't just have highly flammable cladding, but also a fabulous gas powered heating system slapped right on top of the roof. There are absolutely loads of fire risks in Arthur Millwood and just feel that the 9 Salford Council Tower Blocks had put the dangers of our tower block on the back shelf. At least the Salford Council are making efforts to correct the cladding situation. My housing association landlord has stopped stripping the cladding leaving us all at risk. I think a visits from the Fire Services to Arthur Millwood is called for. I just hope this time they do not have their eyes closed when doing the inspection.
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 11:36:50 AM on Friday, July 28, 2017
I urge our Mayor to appoint a Fire Tsar from each high rise residents' group, fully trained by Fire Services and guarantee these a place on the Council high rise action meetings.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: ‘ETHICAL’ AVIVA TRIES TO EVICT NEW MANCHESTER HOMELESS SQUAT
Chris is Robin Hood, taking the property of the rich to save those with nothing... [more]
article: SALFORD COUNCIL RUNNING FIRST AID FOR DOGS AFTER £1.6MILLION CUT TO HEALTH IMPROVEMENT
Our rulers must be barking!... [more]
article: SALFORD COUNCIL RUNNING FIRST AID FOR DOGS AFTER £1.6MILLION CUT TO HEALTH IMPROVEMENT
Simple! They've never been good at engaging communities so now they have gone for the poor dogs! P ... [more]
article: SALFORD COUNCIL RUNNING FIRST AID FOR DOGS AFTER £1.6MILLION CUT TO HEALTH IMPROVEMENT
sorry what a load of rubbish..never heard anything so daft ... so were is the money to help people in need ..... [more]
article: 91% OF SALFORD UNIVERSAL CREDIT CLAIMANTS IN ARREARS WITH CITY WEST
Mystic Meg, what real evidence do you have to support your accusations against the council? U.C. is a nationaĺ policy impos... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD COUNCIL RUNNING FIRST AID FOR DOGS AFTER £1.6MILLION CUT TO HEALTH IMPROVEMENT

Star date: 19th January 2018 

DOGS FIRST AID COURSE AFTER HUMAN GROUPS CUT

"An insult to the people of Salford..."

Salford City Council is using its Health Improvement Team to run First Aid For Dogs courses, after slashing £1.6million from its budget which helped improve the lives of humans.

The courses, run in conjunction with the PDSA, cover doggy bloat, doggy bandaging and resuscitating doggies... "It's an insult to the people of Salford that managers are putting the health of dogs before the health of people" says one resident affected by the Health Improvement cuts.

Full details here...

‘ETHICAL’ AVIVA TRIES TO EVICT NEW MANCHESTER HOMELESS SQUAT

Star date: 18th January 2018

MANCHESTER COUNCIL SAYS 17 HOMELESS PEOPLE 'WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN RELOCATION BECAUSE THEY ARE ACTIVISTS'

After the brutal eviction of 17 homeless people from occupied offices above BetFred in Manchester centre on Monday morning, they have taken refuge in a new building on King Street owned by Aviva Investors Pensions Ltd. Tomorrow, the company is taking the homeless people to court to face further eviction, despite its 'social purpose' statement that "one of our values is to 'care more'"...

Meanwhile, the homeless people are furious about a statement purportedly made by Manchester City Council on the court papers that "they would not be interested in arranging any relocation because they are activists"...

Full details here...

91% OF SALFORD UNIVERSAL CREDIT CLAIMANTS IN ARREARS WITH CITY WEST

Star date: 18th January 2018

HUGE INCREASE IN SALFORD RENT ARREARS DUE TO UNIVERSAL CREDIT

91.3% of City West tenants claiming Universal Credit are currently in arrears with their rent payments, compared to 42.3% of tenants in arrears who are not claiming Universal Credit.

Relating the figures to yesterday's full meeting of Salford Council, City Mayor Paul Dennett added that there was "a clear correlation between the introduction of Universal Credit and increased use of collection orders.

Full details here...

NEW CLADDING FOR SALFORD TOWER BLOCKS IN MARCH SAYS DEPUTY MAYOR

Star date: 17th January 2018

PENDLETON BLOCKS WILL HAVE NEW CLADDING IN MARCH

At today's full meeting of Salford City Council, Deputy Mayor, John Merry, said he was "fairly confident" that new cladding will be put on the nine Pendleton tower blocks, beginning in March. He added that residents' safety had been put "top of the list...I don't think anyone can complain".

John Merry disclosed that documentation relating to cladding on blocks owned by Salix and City West had been sent to councillors, although nothing has been published for the public. He added that a report into how the dangerous cladding was put onto the blocks in the first place will soon be available.

Full details here...

SALFORD HOMELESSNESS CONFERENCE EXCLUDES HOMELESS AT OVER £325 PER TICKET

Star date: 16th January 2018

SALFORD UNIVERSITY CONFERENCE PROMISES 'UNIQUE INSIGHT INTO CAUSES OF HOMELESSNESS' – WITH NO HOMELESS PEOPLE PRESENT

A University of Salford conference which promises to "provide unique insights into the underlying causes and potential solutions to the homelessness crisis" is charging £325+VAT per ticket, thus excluding not only the homeless but also grass roots housing organisations.

One of the speakers is Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, while a panel will ask 'How can we most effectively improve services to vulnerable homeless households and individuals?'...without any 'vulnerable homeless' people there to share their views.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx