HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
GREATER MANCHESTER MAYOR SURVEY FINDS ALMOST 70% OF SALFORD PEOPLE CAN’T NAME A SINGLE CANDIDATE
 

Star date: 20th April 2017

86% OF PEOPLE KNOW THERE'S A GM MAYOR ELECTION BUT FEW CAN NAME ANY CANDIDATES

Today the Salford Star took to Salford Precinct to gauge people's knowledge of the Greater Manchester Mayor Election on May 4th – and found that, while the vast majority knew about the ballot and intended to vote, 69% couldn't name a single candidate, while the other 31% could only name one candidate, Andy Burnham.

Full details here...


Greater Manchester Mayor Survey by Salford Star
click image to enlarge

It's hard to get away from the fact that there is a Greater Manchester Mayor Election on May 4th. Locally, every household has had a brochure listing virtually all the candidates with their policies, while the other night there was a BBC debate featuring all but one of the candidates.

The parties have also been out canvassing door-to-door, there's been live hustings, with more to come...yet, it appears, not one single candidate has made an impact on the vast majority of people – if the Salford Star's very unscientific sample of Salford Precinct shoppers is anything to go by.

We asked four questions to a random sample of three dozen people on the Precinct this afternoon...

Do you know that there is a Greater Manchester Mayor Election on May 4th?
86% said they were aware of the election, with 14% unaware.

Will you be voting in the election?
61% said they would be voting and 39% said either 'No' or 'Don't know'.

Can you name any of the candidates standing in the Greater Manchester Mayor Election?
69% couldn't name a single candidate; and the other 31% could name only one candidate, which was always Andy Burnham.

Who will you be voting for?
Of those who answered, 91% said Andy Burnham, with 9% saying Liberal Democrats. No other political party was mentioned.

Comments from those who took part in the survey were largely sceptical...even amongst Andy Burnham voters...

"He's a bit arrogant" said one person, while another insisted "He's the only one who stands out". Someone else thought they would be voting for Jeremy Corbyn in the GM Mayor Election...

Of those who wouldn't be voting, comments ranged from "They're all on too much money", to "I don't even know what this election is", to "I'm sick of them all"...

...Another person was annoyed that there was a GM Mayor Election in the first place... "Why wasn't there a referendum on this? Why weren't Salford people consulted?" he asked...


To read more about the candidates and their policies click on the links to their websites...


Will Patterson – Green Party – click here

Jane Brophy – Liberal Democrats – click here

Andy Burnham – Labour Party – click here

Sean Anstee – Conservative Party – click here

Marcus Farmer – Independent – click here

Shneur Odze – UKIP – click here

Stephen Morris – English Democrats – click here

Mohammad Aslam – Independent – doesn't appear to have any online presence


*The Salford Star does not endorse any candidate.

See also previous related Salford Star articles...

Greater Manchester Mayor to Cost Over £4million – click here

Andy Burnham Roasted By Homelessness Campaigners at Housing Hustings – click here


Survey conducted by Mikey K, with graphics by Anya Samantha


life is loud wrote
at 1:35:04 PM on Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Fancy going to Fraggle Rock for knowledge
 
Real Salford wrote
at 4:32:40 AM on Sunday, April 23, 2017
Wake the feck up Salford ! Do your research ! Read the Salford Star !
 
wrote
at 8:19:09 AM on Friday, April 21, 2017
Perhaps the reason that Burnham was the candidate that more knew about, was that his speeches were regularly reported on and given prominence in the MEN. I don't recall too much about other candidates.
 
Alice wrote
at 6:01:04 AM on Friday, April 21, 2017
It never said it was an in-depth piece of research. It was a random opinion poll. However, it probably does reflects the truth. People were not involved in the decision to have a Mayor for Greater Manchester so we shouldn't expect them to be involved now. Sadly there is too much deceit and spin around pollitics so that many people get confused and are easily manipulated. What is needed is more truth, more clear information and more relevant discussion. Also let's listen to the policies of candidates and stop being influenced by their appearance, their dress, their hairdo, their legs even. We should vote on policies. That applies to the coming General Election. Remember a leader is only as good as the policies they follow. Another thought: good work Anya and Mikey...teenagers having a go at political research.
 
The Fat End of The Wedge wrote
at 11:44:24 PM on Thursday, April 20, 2017
Can't trust Anstee, he's one of those that wants to put Salford in Manchester - taken from his website, his contact address reads: Manchester Conservatives, 14b Wynford Square, West Ashton Street, Manchester M50 2SN Checking with the Royal Mail (like I needed to...) we find that M50 2SN is actually: Conservatives North Unit 14- 14B Montford Enterprise Centre Wynford Square SALFORD M50 2SN Capitals as per Royal Mail. Maybe the Star can check his local geographical knowledge with him?
 
Salford Star wrote
at 11:44:18 PM on Thursday, April 20, 2017
See Jimbo's comment below...We wrote that it wasn't very scientific and also how many people were asked - considering that you say it wasn't very 'in-depth' you don't seem to have read it!
 
Jimbo wrote
at 11:41:59 PM on Thursday, April 20, 2017
How many people did you actually ask? Doesn't sound very scientific or in-depth. You haven't told us anything new...people are fed up with politics!!
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD STAR ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2017 OPEN FOR NOMINATIONS
just wanna thank salford star for standing by us ting n ting ... [more]
article: SALFORD DOGS4US SEES PUPPY FARM AWARENESS DAY PROTEST
Salford lad. The licensing department I am sure could find the time to do unannounced visits to Dogs 4 us. It wouldn't have a grea... [more]
article: SALFORD DOGS4US SEES PUPPY FARM AWARENESS DAY PROTEST
It is totally shameful that the Council refuse to act. It is a national shame to have the biggest pet shop seller of puppy farm do... [more]
article: SALFORD COUNCIL PROUD OF EDUCATING GREATER MANCHESTER HARROP FOLD SCHOOL PUPILS
Well done Harrop Fold a great achievement. I would like to see the headmaster and all the staff of Harrop Fold change places with... [more]
article: IT WOULD BE ‘LUDICROUS’ TO BAN FRACKING SAYS SALFORD PLANNING LEAD MEMBER
The council vote on subjects they know nothing about every week !!... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD POVERTY TRUTH COMMISSION TO REPORT FINDINGS

Star date: 23rd September 2017

HAS POVERTY TRUTH COMMISSION ACHIEVED ANYTHING?

In July 2016 the Salford Poverty Truth Commission was launched to drive home some real life honesty to those shaping the city's present and future, and hopefully change something. Has it achieved anything? On October 6th, Commission members will be sharing some results in a free open event that anyone can attend.

Full details here...

SONNETS FROM SALFORD POETRY BOOK HELPS ST ANN’S HOSPICE

Star date: 23rd September 2017

SALFORD POETRY FOR SALFORD PEOPLE

Sounds of Salford Radio's Simon Williams has penned a new collection of poems about Salford people and for Salford people, with subjects ranging from Salford Reds at The Willows, to social cleansing in Langworthy, to a rhyming trip around the city's music history. There's only one hundred copies of the pamphlet, it's £2.50 and all proceed go to St Ann's Hospice.

Full details here...

REVIEW OF ANGELS WITH DIRTY ACCENTS AT SALFORD ARTS THEATRE

Star date: 22nd September 2017

STREET ANGELS, DRUGS AND RIPPED WINGS FEELS LIKE HEAVEN

Swearing, drug taking, warring, robbing, homeless angels? It certainly feels like heaven - not - in a slick, new production by R.Kid, where the halos have unravelled big time, and the dark side rears its horns. Angels With Dirty Accents runs at Salford Arts Theatre until 23rd and then from 27th to 30th September.

Full review here...

SALFORD RED DEVILS SEASON ENDS WITH VIOLENCE, DEFEAT TO ST HELENS AND CLUB NAME REMAIN

Star date: 22nd September 2017

SALFORD TO REMAIN 'SALFORD' BUT SAINTS ENSURE END OF SEASON DEFEAT

A topsy-turvy season that could have seen 'Salford' become 'Manchester', or a Challenge Cup final place, ended last night with defeat to St Helens, a man sent off and fan violence, although Marwan Koukash confirmed that the 'Salford' name will remain. Analysis, photos and match report from our three Red Devils correspondents.

Full details here...

SALFORD COUNCIL PROUD OF EDUCATING GREATER MANCHESTER HARROP FOLD SCHOOL PUPILS

Star date: 21st September 2017

COUNCILLORS PROUD OF HOW HARROP FOLD TV PUPILS REPRESENTING CITY – AS £1.7MILLION FUNDRAISING DRIVE LAUNCHED TO WIPE OUT HUGE SCHOOL DEFICIT

At yesterday's full meeting of Salford Council, councillors praised staff and pupils at Harrop Fold school for how they have represented the city..."I really think they've done the community proud and this city proud" said Walkden South Councillor, Richard Critchley, and the sentiments were underlined by Children's Lead Member Lisa Stone.

Meanwhile the school has launched a £1.7million fundraising drive to wipe out its deficit, which at one point was the highest in the country at a forecast £6.7million.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx