HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD SEES ‘WORRYING’ RISE IN CRIME PARTICULARLY IN BROUGHTON
 

Star date: 16th March 2017

VIOLENT CRIME UP 15%, BURGLARY UP 12%, OVERALL CRIME UP 7%

At yesterday's full meeting of Salford City Council, figures were disclosed showing an upsurge of crime in the city after reductions over the last few years. Violent crime is up 15%; burglary, particularly in Broughton, is up 12%; hate crime is up 4% and, overall, all types of crime has risen by 7%.

Councillor David Lancaster, Lead Member for Community Safety, said "the trend is worrying to say the least".

Full details here...


At yesterday's full council meeting, as Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, spoke of the city's success in attracting investment and development, a question from Broughton Councillor, Jim King, showed the reverse side of the equation.

Councillor King asked for a comment on the fact that crime in his ward of Broughton had gone up by 8%, to which Councillor David Lancaster, Lead Member for Community Safety, responded that burglary from dwellings, particularly in Broughton, had actually gone up by 12% over the last twelve months, February 2016 to February 2017.

"Crime and disorder has been reducing in Salford for the last three years" he explained "This year the trend is worrying to say the least..."

He then gave the latest crime figures which show that overall crime in Salford has risen by 7% - with violent crime up 15%, stealing up 3%, hate crime, particularly in Kersal, up 4%, theft from vehicles up 2% and domestic related crime up 1%. Meanwhile, theft of cars has reduced and anti-social behaviour has fallen by 3%.

"We've got to strive to improve it" said Councillor Lancaster, adding that the crime figures are only based on reported crime, urging residents to report all crimes even if it means the figures rising again... "We're always being told it's not a correct record of what's happening on the ground..."

He explained that the Greater Manchester Police budget had been reduced by £118million* since 2010, that there were now two thousand fewer officers - "a massive fall" – and that the number of PCSOs - which made a "massive difference" - had been reduced significantly... "However" he added "This year the Police Commissioner has agreed we should recruit more PCSOs."

Salford's overall crime rise of 7%, Councillor Lancaster explained, compared favourably with Greater Manchester as a whole, which saw all crimes increase by 10% on average...

Specifically for Salford, he concluded, "We have an action plan in place at hotspots, and hopefully we will have some success..."


Update: 19th March

As the Councillor Lancaster response was a verbal report, the Star misheard the amount of cuts, which were meant to be a £180million cut. The real figure is actually £183million cut. The Star is happy to set the record straight.

Arnold Rimmer wrote
at 10:05:17 AM on Thursday, March 23, 2017
Didn't GMP have their wrist slapped for not recording or mis-recording 25% of crimes the other year. If they've fixed that, then the increase is just the more accurate reporting and not an increase in the crimes themselves.
 
Reap what you sow wrote
at 8:34:41 AM on Friday, March 17, 2017
It makes you wonder whether breaking up existing communities and replacing them with new "better" ones has anything to do with this.
 
MPG wrote
at 1:41:17 AM on Friday, March 17, 2017
This is the typical officers working for GMP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxI4ToNKGQ The officer has a very checkered past, would you call the police if this is who may turn up. This is why they don't investigate crime, too busy working for the corporations, councils and baliffs.
 
Escobar Central wrote
at 4:31:24 PM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
When you walk down the high street and your children ask you what's that smell!!! Oh yes children its the smell of Cannabis!!! Drug pushers flogging there merchandise to School children, Drug deals going down on the High street in daylight!!! They need to increase police numbers and not substitute them
 
Gareth L wrote
at 12:12:10 PM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
Do the crime statistics take into account the increase in population? Are they per capita or reported incidents?
 
part time socailist wrote
at 7:10:03 AM on Thursday, March 16, 2017
Reality check we have a None seen Labour Crime Commissioner, PCSOs who in reality are glorified traffic wardens and no Police. Half the crime goes unreported and what does they get a slap on the wrist and a warning. Policing in this city is none existent, when did you last see a copper walking down your street? unless you where speeding or a anti fracker. Labour say it's a worry try bloody living amongst it.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
SLADS
Salford Live Events
Salford Star contact
Salford Star
Salford Star print
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD LISTED DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS TO BE DEMOLISHED AS PEGGY SEEGER SLATES ‘LAND GRABBERS’
The fat cats who control the faceless holding companies are only interested in SLASH AND CONCRETE and the bottom line,they are c... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Bristol fireman and Ray of Sunshine. The truth always hurts. The reality is that the fire service throughout the UK is an expensiv... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad - what sewer did you escape from? ... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
Salford Lad, if ignorance is bliss, you must go around with a permanent smile on your face. Also, can you point me in the directio... [more]
article: FIREFIGHTERS SAY THEY WERE HELD BACK FROM ATTENDING MANCHESTER ARENA BOMB SCENE
I totally agree the higher power are to blame . But as a human being. I would have gone any way and made my own personal and profe... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD RED DEVILS PROVIDE TRIBUTE TO MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS WHILE CATALANS CRUSHED

Star date: 27th May 2017

ALMOST 5,000 PEOPLE ATTEND SALFORD RUGBY TRIBUTE TO MANCHESTER

Almost 5,000 people, including fans from other rugby teams, watched Salford Red Devils crush Catalans Dragons 50-12 last night, in what was an emotional night of tributes to the Manchester bomb victims.

Before the game there was a minute's silence, after 22 minutes there was applause and, throughout, fans held 'I Love MCR' cards and waved a giant 'Salford and Manchester Together' flag, as Gareth Lyons reports...

Full report here...

ARIANA GRANDE TO DO BENEFIT CONCERT IN MANCHESTER FOR BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 26th May 2017

"WE WON'T LET HATE WIN" SAYS ARIANA

Ariana Grande has just issued a statement on Twitter saying that she will "be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honor of and to raise money for the victims and their families".

The singer, whose fans were caught in Monday night's bomb blast at Manchester Arena, adds that "We will not quit or operate in fear...We won't let this divide us...We won't let hate win..."

Full details here...

MANCHESTER BOMB ATTACK SALFORD WITNESSES URGED TO SEEK SUPPORT

Star date: 26th May 2017

PHONE LINE SUPPORT FOR ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT GOERS AND WITNESSES

Loads of Salford people were at Monday night's Ariana Grande concert which was hit by a terrorist bomb, and now they are being urged to seek help from Victim Support on a special free hotline...

"If you were...there on the night or you witnessed the horror that unfolded, practical help and emotional support is also available to you" says Greater Manchester Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime Beverley Hughes.

Full details here...

WORLD OBSERVES MINUTES SILENCE FOR MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Star date: 25th May 2017

ST ANN'S SQUARE FALLS SILENT THEN UNITED AND CITY ANNOUNCE £1MILLION DONATION

A jam-packed St Ann's Square fell quiet at 11am this morning, as a one minute silence was observed throughout Manchester, Salford and the world for the victims of the Manchester bomb attack.

Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham, led Manchester Council workers from Albert Square to St Ann's Square, to join many hundreds of people paying respect. Afterwards, it was announced that Manchester United and Manchester City had made a joint donation of £1million to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

Full details here...

SALFORD RED DEVILS GIVE FREE MATCH ENTRY FOR BOMB RELIEF DONATIONS

Star date: 25th May 2017

SALFORD RED DEVILS DONATE ALL GATE MONEY TO MANCHESTER BOMB VICTIMS

Salford Red Devils are making their Friday night match against Catalans Dragons free entry, with fans asked to donate to the Manchester Bomb Relief Fund instead. Owner Marwan Koukash tweeted "For the @SalfordDevils game on Friday, just turn up, collect free ticket and make a donation for the victims of the Manchester attack".

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx