HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SUPPORT DIANNE FESTIVAL IN PICCADILLY GARDENS TODAY
 

Star date: 19th November 2016

PARTY IN SUPPORT OF MANCHESTER CAMPAIGNER DETAINED AT YARL'S WOOD

Today, Saturday 19th November, between 2:30pm and 5:30pm, rappers, musicians, and campaigners will be gathering in Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester for a three hour solidarity festival in support of Dianne Ngoza, the Zambian nurse who was taken from Salford to the notorious Yarl's Wood holding centre this week.

Dianne's daughter will also be there and organisers say "This is a chance for people to find out how they can get involved in the campaign".

Full details here...


Dianne Must Stay! Dianne Must Stay! Dianne Must Stay!
Dianne Must Stay!
click image to enlarge

The campaign in support of Dianne Ngoza, the Manchester anti-destitution activist, is hotting up with a three hour solidarity festival today, Saturday 19th November, in Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester between 2:30pm and 5:30pm.

Dianne, a Zambian nurse who has lived in the UK for 14 years and away from Zambia for twenty years, has been destitute for six years due to a series of errors by immigration solicitors. She made a new application for leave to remain in the UK four months ago but, at the beginning of November, this was rejected by the Home Office.

She was told she would be deported and that, although she had the right to appeal against the Home Office's decision to refuse her application, she would have to appeal from Zambia. On Wednesday, Dianne went to the Reporting Centre at Dallas Court in Salford with fresh evidence of her right to stay, and was backed by around fifty supporters who held a protest rally outside (see previous Salford Star article – click here).

Dianne was detained, and when the van taking her to a centre tried to leave, supporters blocked it and forced it back into the compound. Later in the evening, following discussions with police, the van was allowed to leave, with both Dianne and her campaigners being told she was being taken to Pennine House near Manchester Airport. She never arrived (see previous Salford Star article – click here)

Late that night, supporters learned that Dianne had been taken instead to the notorious Yarl's Wood Immigration Removal Centre in Bedfordshire. The Dianne Must Stay! campaign has now issued a statement...

"As media coverage has shown and pending court cases against Yarl's Wood officers demonstrate, Yarl's Wood is no place for Dianne – or any other woman – to be" it states "When Dianne's supporters stopped the van from taking her to a detention centre on Wednesday, the duty deputy manager at Dallas Court said it was `not fair' to keep her there because she only had a chair to sit on and had not eaten for nearly seven hours since her arrival at the reporting centre that morning.

"He said Dianne needed a bed and a meal" it adds "This might have been possible if she had been taken the short distance to Pennine House at Manchester Airport. Instead she was forced to make a three hour journey to Yarl's Wood where she had to sit on another chair in a waiting room until well after midnight when she was given a bed. The only food she received consisted of two apples."

The campaign is now asking the Home Office:

Why they have not released Dianne from detention in Yarl's Wood Immigration Removal Centre, Bedfordshire? Dianne submitted fresh evidence in her case to the Home Office before she was detained and they are legally obliged to consider that.

Why she is not being allowed to appeal against the Home Office decision from within the UK? New legislation will make in country appeals much more difficult from December 1st but that legislation is not currently in force.

Why her supporters at Dallas Court on Wednesday were told Dianne would be taken to Pennine House, the short term detention centre at Manchester Airport? She was taken to Yarl's Wood in Bedfordshire instead.

It is also asking people to write to their MP and has composed a draft letter*

In the meantime, supporters are holding today's solidarity party in Piccadilly Gardens where there will be free soup and herbal tea - grown locally and organically by the refugees and asylum seekers who use The Gaskell Garden Project – plus rappers, musicians, poets and DJ Joaquín.

"This is a chance for people to find out how they can get involved in the campaign", state supporters.


* People can write to their MP via the Write To Them website www.writetothem.com
 
Draft letter...


Dear (MP's name)
Re: Dianne Ngoza.
Date of Birth 28.08.1969 Home Office ref no: 021042760

As your constituent, I am writing to you to ask you to offer your support to Lucy Powell (MP for Manchester Central) who is raising the case of Dianne Ngoza with the Home Office.

I think it is particularly important for you to offer your support in this case - and I urge you to contact the Home Office yourself - as Dianne is a prominent campaigner against destitution. Many people are destitute in Manchester, Greater Manchester and elsewhere in the country: the effects of destitution are devastating and are very often the result of the UK's immigration and housing policies and procedures.

Dianne is currently detained at Yarl's Wood Immigration Removal Centre, Bedfordshire, and is under threat of deportation even though fresh evidence in her case has been submitted to the Home Office. She was detained when she went to report at Dallas Court, Salford, on Wednesday 16th November. When her first application was rejected by the Home Office at the beginning of this month, Dianne was told she was being denied the right to an in country appeal.

A Zambian national and qualified nurse, Dianne is a very valued member of Manchester society. She has widespread support from refugee charities, church and community organisations, and trade unions. She is a member of Unite NW 389 Branch.

Dianne worked in South Africa for a number of years before coming to the UK on a work permit in 2002. She has not lived in Zambia for over 20 years and has no relatives or contacts there. Dianne's private life consists of her daughter who lives in the UK and her wide network of friends throughout Greater Manchester, Lancashire and other parts of the country.

Dianne became destitute six years ago due to a series of errors on the part of immigration solicitors. Since then, she has relied on friends and contacts for food, money and shelter. Despite this, she has worked tirelessly for the most vulnerable members of Manchester and Greater Manchester society.

As a supporter of Dianne, I am particularly concerned to know:

• Why she remains in Yarl's Wood when fresh evidence was submitted for her case at 7am on Wednesday morning?
• Why she was denied the right to an in country appeal against the Home Office decision at the beginning of November? I am aware new legislation is coming into force at the beginning of December but it has not happened yet. The Home Office agrees she has the right to appeal but Dianne has no money or contacts in Zambia so, in effect, the Home Office is preventing that appeal
• Why supporters who accompanied Dianne to Dallas Court were told she would be taken from there to Pennine House to be taken care of? Instead she had to undergo a long journey to Bedfordshire and there was no bed immediately available at Yarl's Wood. She had to wait and the only food she was given throughout the day consisted of two apples.

The change from Pennine House to Yarl's Wood also resulted in Dianne's Manchester-based solicitor not being able to represent her at a bail hearing in Bedfordshire. Currently, more than 20 women are on the list to see the Yarl's Wood solicitor before Dianne.

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely...

wrote
at 16:21:51 on 22 November 2016
Thank you Star, I have used the template and contacted my MP. Felse, have you done the same or are you just satisfied with making your pathetic demands on here? And no Salford is not hatefully racist, but read back through some of your OWN comments and one cannot say the same about you.
 
Trump Felse wrote
at 21:47:54 on 21 November 2016
This page is NOT about me. I am demanding Dianne is awarded a cabinet place in the new MetroMayor team. This must be one of the priority rights to show Salford is not hatefully racist. Felse.
 
Felse the fool wrote
at 16:38:47 on 21 November 2016
Hahahaha people have still not cottoned on to the fact that Felse is just winding people up with his comments, he doesn't actually mean them he just does it for effect. He's actually very left wing in real life.
 
Momentum wrote
at 10:47:12 on 21 November 2016
Mr Felse must be stopped. We do not want Trump policies in Salford destroying all the great works of our Labour council.
 
Rayofsunshine wrote
at 10:15:27 on 21 November 2016
This is the same Mr.Felse who during The Referendum Campaign made disgraceful and frankly racist statements about migrants! Consistency has never mattered to arch opportunist Felse!
 
Concerned citizen wrote
at 10:14:20 on 21 November 2016
Trump Felse and what makes you think anyone will take your demands seriously? Laws are laws in this country and everyone including yourself and Dianne must follow them.
 
Arthur Brown wrote
at 19:26:01 on 20 November 2016
And what is Mr Felse going to do if the Mayor refuses to bow to his demand and the court staff ignore his other demand. Putting them on notice indeed. Who does he think he is.
 
Trump Felse wrote
at 14:47:28 on 20 November 2016
In support of the demonstration I demand the new MetroMayor closes Dallas Court as a step towards removing hate crimes. We hear too many wrong doings and must remove such hate creator centers. I am putting the Dallas Court staff on notice and demand they recall Dianne into her rightful home in our local community.
 
wrote
at 07:18:43 on 20 November 2016
Mr Felse was so shocked to read about this, that we should expecting him to be at the forefront of this 'demonstration'. Deeds not words.
 
Concerned citizen wrote
at 12:19:41 on 19 November 2016
This article seems to suggest the protesters caused more harm than good for Dianne.
 
Alice wrote
at 09:01:09 on 19 November 2016
This a very sad story. Obviously sad for Dianne and her family and friends but I see it also as very sad indeed that this country allows this to happen and this Government has such a heartless inhumane policy. I feel ashamed. I have worked for periods of my life in Africa and never was I treated with disrespect or racism. I was always shown kindness and friendship. The movement of people around the world is inevitable and it must be dealt with by a better approach, not these cruel insensitive methods.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD PENDLETON TOGETHER TENANTS TELL OF KNIVES, NIBES, CLADDING, DODGY WINDOWS AND HOLES IN THE WALLS
What I would do if I was one of the disgruntled tenants is take video statements on my mobile phone. I would try to find about fi... [more]
article: GOVERNMENT BLOCKS SALFORD CLADDING REPLACEMENT
The private companies must not be fulfilling their contract by allowing unsafe flats. It's good the government is not allowing a p... [more]
article: GOVERNMENT BLOCKS SALFORD CLADDING REPLACEMENT
Brilliant things these PFI's! We know which way this is going---------Much hand wringing by Merry and Doughnut and then the flat... [more]
article: SALFORD PENDLETON TOGETHER TENANTS TELL OF KNIVES, NIBES, CLADDING, DODGY WINDOWS AND HOLES IN THE WALLS
A lot of great English humour overlaid on a sad and tragic tale of the human condition in the modern-day Britain. A very illuminat... [more]
article: GOVERNMENT BLOCKS SALFORD CLADDING REPLACEMENT
tell you what, lets get the two master builders Merry and Dennett to sort it out. They could use the new wonderful company they ha... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

ST PAUL’S CHURCHYARD TRAIL SALFORD

Star date: 22nd September 2018

GRAVE INTEREST IN KERSAL

St Paul's Churchyard Trail
Sunday 23rd September 11:30am
St Paul's Church, Kersal

Tomorrow, Sunday 23rd September, there's going to be a churchyard trail at St Paul's Church on Moor Lane in Kersal to learn some of the history of the important and interesting people buried there.

Full details here...

GOVERNMENT BLOCKS SALFORD CLADDING REPLACEMENT

Star date: 21st September 2018

SALFORD CITY COUNCIL CAN'T ACCESS £400MILLION GOVERNMENT CLADDING FUND

Salford City Council has been told by the Government that it can't access the £400million public fund to help with the cost of replacing dangerous cladding on the nine Pendleton blocks because it's part of a PFI.

Nor will the Government allow the Council to loan Pendleton Together Operating Limited money from its £25million fund set aside for the cladding. In short, it's a complete mess.

Full details here...

SALFORD PENDLETON TOGETHER TENANTS TELL OF KNIVES, NIBES, CLADDING, DODGY WINDOWS AND HOLES IN THE WALLS

Star date: 21st September 2018

'IF YOU WERE TO LIVE HERE FOR ONE WEEK IN ONE OF OUR FLATS, IT WOULD OPEN YOUR EYES...'

Dodgy cladding, knife fights, a tenant threatening to jump off the roof, windows that you can't open, others that are almost falling out...and those NIBEs eating up people's heating budgets. Oh, and tenancy warnings handed out like confetti to elected tenants association officers who are trying to make things better.

Welcome to the Pendleton Together blocks, where residents at Malus Court have just about had enough...

Full details here...

PARENTS MAKE A STAND AGAINST FORCED CHILD REMOVAL BY SALFORD CITY COUNCIL

Star date: 20th September 2018

CIVIC CENTRE SEES PARENTS RAISE AWARENESS OF COUNCIL CHILD REMOVAL PRACTICE

"We're not doing this for the parents we're doing this for the kids, because kids are being hurt..."

Today saw parents who have had their children removed stage an awareness demonstration outside Salford Civic Centre... "We're not fighting for our kids to be brought back to us now, we're fighting for a better system for our kids in the future because it's not right what's going on, it's really not" Katie Jane told the Salford Star.

The demonstration is set to continue tomorrow (Friday) and next week until the 25th September, with networking in Victoria Park over the weekend.

Full details here...

£7MILLION CYCLE AND WALKING ROUTES FOR SALFORD ANNOUNCED

Star date: 20th September 2018

MONTON, SWINTON AND TRINITY WAY TO GET NEW CYCLE PATHS

Transport for Greater Manchester has announced a plan for £7.1million worth of cycle paths and walkways in Monton, Swinton and Trinity Way, with Salford City Council contributing £1.2million towards the total cost.

"The people of Greater Manchester will soon have a genuine choice in how they travel, ensuring that they and their children have a viable and attractive alternative to the car" says Chris Boardman, Greater Manchester Cycling and Walking Commissioner.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx