HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD MARCH TO TORY PARTY CONFERENCE IN DOUBT
 

Star date: 18th August 2013

BEXLEY SQUARE FEEDER MARCH TO TORY PARTY CONFERENCE BAN?

On 29th September a big feeder march from Salford's Bexley Square is due to meet a larger march by protesters from all over the country in Manchester town centre to tell the Conservative Party Conference `No To Austerity'.

Now, the Salford Star understands, the Salford march is in doubt - but activists say that it will go ahead anyway, like it or not…

Full details here…


Salford Feeder March Salford Marches Against Tories in 2011 Salford Marches Against Tories in 2011
Salford Marches Against Tories in 2011 Salford Marches Against Tories in 2011 Salford Marches Against Tories in 2011
click image to enlarge

The publicity has already gone out from trade unions and the Salford TUC advertising a `Salford Feeder March to Manchester for National Protest at Conservative Party Conference'.

Backed by Salford TUC, Greater Manchester TUC, Salford City UNISON, Unite 406 and many community campaigns, the Salford section is set to assemble at 10am in Bexley Square on 29th September, before marching to Manchester to merge with the main national march on Liverpool Road, and proceeding to a rally in Whitworth Park.

Now those plans are in doubt, the Salford Star understands, although Greater Manchester Police would neither confirm nor deny that they were behind any potential ban.

"We're waiting to hear from the police and the North West TUC about the finalisation of the programme" says Stefan Cholewka, secretary of Greater Manchester Association of Trades Councils.

When the Conservative Party Conference was last held in Manchester in October 2011, hundreds of Salford people met at Bexley Square before marching to meet the main national protest outside GMex (see previous Salford Star article – click here).

Now, the Star believes, the problem is with finding a space in Manchester for the Salford march to end, as people with disabilities, families with children and the elderly cannot be expected to walk miles to Whitworth Park for the TUC rally. Local trade unionists wanted somewhere central, in Manchester, where the Salford march could finish with a smaller rally to give people a voice in their own city.

The Salford Star is awaiting a comment from Greater Manchester Police, but local activists say told us that, even if the Salford march is banned, they will go ahead anyway…

For further details on the Salford March see Facebook Page - click here

john catterall wrote
at 12:07:50 PM on Tuesday, August 27, 2013
we had a meeting of Community Activists and the GMATUC last week to finalise the Salford Feeder March and it will definitely be on ...... We are dealing with all the necessary organisations and the Police as well as DPAC ( Disabled People Against the Cuts )and we have agreed the route ... John Catterall Unite Community member
 
Alice Searle wrote
at 4:49:38 AM on Friday, August 23, 2013
Surely this is PROTEST and DEMONSTRATION against the Gov's plans to destroy our National Health Service. The people of Salford have a legal right to [peaceful] protest against this act of vandalism and should do so from the centre of their city. What the Government is doing is without a mandate since it was not in its manifesto. Its actions are illegally, sly and deceitful.I would like to go from Beckley Square, because it is a symbolic and historical spot for protests for Salford. ALSO I would like to march as close as possible to the Conference Centre and make my voice heard. To go AWAY from the Centre seems to me to defeat the purpose of this Protest. It will certainly reduce impact. But of course that is why the Police have suggested this route. If we really wanted to we could dictate our own route.
 
Andy Thorpe wrote
at 2:18:51 AM on Thursday, August 22, 2013
Joolz is right . We don't need any permission . Sod them all , and their bullshit rules and regulations . VIVA LA REVOLUTION .
 
PMSL wrote
at 2:18:29 AM on Thursday, August 22, 2013
We should drag Mayor Yellow Belly along with us . After all , he pretends to be ' a people man ' PMSL .
 
joolz wrote
at 10:40:21 AM on Wednesday, August 21, 2013
We don't need their permission. We meet at Bexley Square, and then as we set off some kind soul rings the police and "informs" them that there is a march setting off.. We have done this before. We set the route as we go, and as we have a public "right of way" on the highway they can't stop us.. and didn't on parasite (sorry royal) wedding day when around 200 marched straight down Oxford Rd with no planned route, right through to Hulme.. Once we hit the city people can go where they want to join the march route.. Near Oxford Rd station is a traditional place, as is St Peters Square. See everybody in Salford :) Vive la Revolution XD
 
Paul Gerrard wrote
at 9:48:05 AM on Monday, August 19, 2013
I'm sure this can be resolved. We have several times marched from Salford to meet large demonstrations in Manchester and I have no doubt we will do so again.
 
margaret tunnacliffe wrote
at 1:22:36 PM on Sunday, August 18, 2013
It was bound to happen sooner or later.People are sick and tired of all the cuts and then lining the pockets of the FAT CATS.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS
Retired Socialist, my view of the world is that green spaces are all well and good, but I have noticed that in Salford, quite po... [more]
article: OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS
What is your view of the world Phil? a stone clad drab world lacking in colour and vibrancy, where we all read the morning star u... [more]
article: OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS
Phil,thank you so much for your wise words.Great,go forth and build.But not in our parks or playing fields.So you and the bloody m... [more]
article: OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS
Even more bothered about Buile Hill Park - a far more serious intrusion into heritage public land that should be sacrosanct and fr... [more]
article: OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS
DO NOT BUILD HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS ,It's there for the future of our Children. ... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SAVE SALFORD NURSERIES CAMPAIGN HITS PARLIAMENT

Star date: 26th April 2018

SALFORD NURSERIES CAMPAIGN GOES NATIONAL

Yesterday, Save Salford Nurseries campaigners took their message to Parliament,  meeting MPs and protesting outside the Department of Education, although the Government will not meet with the campaign until May.

Here, nursery campaigner, Lee Shannon, who joined the London lobbying, gives an account of the day...

Full details here...

OVER 4,000 SALFORD RESIDENTS OPPOSE HOUSES ON DUNCAN MATHESON PLAYING FIELDS

Star date: 25th April 2018

PUBLIC MEETING GEARS UP FOR OPPOSITION TO SALFORD COUNCIL

Tomorrow night, Thursday 26th April at 7pm, there's going to be a further public meeting at De La Salle Sports Club to reignite opposition to a proposed huge housing development on the Duncan Matheson Playing Fields, off Lancaster Road.

Over four thousand people have already signed a petition, as Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, seems to have done a u-turn, from originally opposing the development to supporting building on the playing fields.

Full details here...

SALFORD RED DEVILS DIRECTOR OPENS UP ON PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS AT THE CLUB

Star date: 24th April 2018

"WE ARE PROBABLY THE MOST POORLY SUPPORTED CLUB..."

What is the future for Salford Red Devils? A wealthy benefactor has gone, players have been sold, crowds are small and income is low. On the pitch things aren't too bad but, off the pitch, the new owners are trying to pick up the pieces, including a new Salford Red She-Devils team...

"I think the reality is that we are probably the most poorly supported club" Executive Director Andrew Rosler tells Gareth Lyons "I think you kind of get the team you deserve..."

Full details here...

SALFORD LIBDEM CANDIDATE CLAIMS SHE’S BEING BULLIED IN CLAREMONT

Star date: 23rd April 2018

TENSION, 'BULLYING' AND POLITICAL DOG FIGHTING IN LOCAL ELECTION CONTEST

While the local election campaigns around Salford are pretty mild at the moment, in the Claremont ward it's all kicking off, with the LibDem candidate, Stef Lorenz, accusing Labour Party supporters of 'bullying', and the authorities of complicity.

Stef has been blocked from putting up posters in the local Height Library for a jumble sale and art auction in aid of restoring the old Height Youth Club, been forced to stand down as chair of that campaign and has been met with a volley of political abuse on social media. What's going on?

Full details here...

SALFORD MINERS REMEMBERED AT AGECROFT MEMORIAL

Star date: 22nd April 2018

RESPECT PAID TO IRWELL VALLEY MINERS

Yesterday, former miners, families and trade unionists gathered at the Agecroft Colliery monument to pay respects to those who lost their lives down the pits...

"Today means everything, it's the only way we can pay back what they did for you" said Jackie Rimmer, whose father died down Agecroft Colliery in 1963.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx