HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD ASDA ROW REBURIAL BRINGS DIGNIFIED END
 

Star date: 2nd March 2013

FIRST WORLD WAR SOLDIER RE-BURIED AT SWINTON CEMETERY

A World War 1 soldier at the centre of a modern day planning controversy was been re-buried at Swinton Cemetery this week.

Private Wilbraham Lomax Blears, along with over 300 other Salford people, had his grave dug up at the Swinton Unitarian Burial Ground to make way for a new ASDA superstore at the rear of Swinton Precinct, after planning permission was granted by Salford Council.

Full details here…


Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears
Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears
Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears Swinton Cemetery Re-burial for Private Blears
click image to enlarge

Last year saw a long and bitter battle over plans to dig up the Swinton Unitarian Burial Ground to build a service yard for HGVs at a new ASDA superstore at the back of Swinton Precinct (see here for full background details).

In May, a Memorial Service was held, attended by the families of those interred in the burial ground and campaigners "not to show their anger and displeasure at those who seek to disturb the eternal rest of the dead for profit, but to remember and respect those who cannot speak for themselves" (see here).

Despite the campaign, Salford Council granted planning permission (see here), the graves were dug up, and this week the burial ground's most high profile body was re-buried with full military honours.

Private Wilbraham Lomax Blears was firstly injured fighting in World War 1, only to return later to the trenches and suffer a gas attack which led to his slow and painful death at a military hospital in Huddersfield.

At Swinton Cemetery this week around fifty people, including Salford's Ceremonial Mayor, attended Private Blears re-internment. Many were ex-soldiers, old and young, wearing their medals, while one person wore a custom made uniform, as close as possible mirroring what Private Blears himself would have worn.

"The Last Post was played with an emotional tremble by a 78year old veteran, as the Standard Bearers lowered their flags" an attendee told the Salford Star "Then there was a minute's silence as people honoured this young war hero. After he was laid to rest the crowd dispersed, many of whom were going to The British Legion to raise a glass to their fallen comrade."

The stone memorial from his old grave was placed at the head of Private Blears' new resting place.

Photos by itookyourpic.com

mary young wrote
at 4:42:07 PM on Saturday, March 2, 2013
Excellent report.
 
Gillian Welsh wrote
at 1:27:14 PM on Saturday, March 2, 2013
Excellent report. Thank you
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH
Give us a breakdown on what fees have been paid in the last 3 years. And from which development. Also a breakdown on how many affo... [more]
article: DISABLED PEOPLE AGAINST THE CUTS STAGE SCRAP UNIVERSAL CREDIT PROTEST IN MANCHESTER
Esther Mcvey has said on more than one occasion that she will not change Universal credit. Seem she is scared of Iian Duncan-Smit... [more]
article: IS IRLAMS O’ TH’ HEIGHT THE HARDEST PLACE TO SPELL IN BRITAIN?
I have to agree with you that IRLAMS O’ TH’ HEIGHT probably is the hardest name place to spell correctly in Britain. I am here, vi... [more]
article: SALFORD COUNCIL BANNER DECLARES ‘TRANSPARENCY’ DESPITE EVERYTHING BEING SECRET
It has to be stopped. Agree with Mary Ferrer.... [more]
article: OVER 1500 SALFORD PEOPLE SIGN PETITION AGAINST BUILDING IN BUILE HILL PARK
When the foundation put their plan forward they should have made it clear they didn't have the money to renovate the Mansion.Or di... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH

Star date: 19th April 2018

AS £5.5MILLION AVOIDED BY DEVELOPERS SALFORD MAYOR SAYS IT'S A 'MYTH'!

In the latest issue of Salford Council's propaganda mag, Life in Salford, Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, has denounced the "myth" that "developers don't contribute money to the city. It's simply not true" he says.

Yes, they do contribute some money but they also avoid millions of pounds in payments and provision of affordable housing. Indeed, Salford Star analysis shows that developers avoided almost £5.5million in payments last year, as the Mayor only tells half the truth.

Full details here...

DISABLED PEOPLE AGAINST THE CUTS STAGE SCRAP UNIVERSAL CREDIT PROTEST IN MANCHESTER

Star date: 18th April 2018

STOP AND SCRAP UNIVERSAL CREDIT WITH NO EVICTIONS STATE GROUPS

Today, in St Peter's Square Manchester, around half a dozen campaign groups took part in a Disabled People Against the Cuts national day of action calling for Universal Credit to be stopped and scrapped.

Chalk slogans covered the square, speeches were made condemning the affect of the discredited benefit and a giant letter was handed into Manchester City Council calling for 'No evictions' as a result of Universal Credit payment delays.

Full details here...

SALFORD NURSERY CAMPAIGNERS TAKE FIGHT TO PARLIAMENT

Star date: 18th April 2018

FIGHT FOR THE FIVE CAMPAIGNERS HEAD TO WESTMINSTER

A coach load of Save Our Nursery campaigners will be heading to Parliament next Wednesday 25th April for a meeting with MPs in the Palace of Westminster and to urge the Government to be flexible over its new funding formula.

It is also hoped that Labour Party Leader, Jeremy Corbyn, will pressure Theresa May to respond at Prime Minister's Question Time on the same day.

Full details here...

HUGE PAY RISES FOR SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OFFICERS

Star date: 17th April 2018

ASSISTANT DIRECTORS TO GET HUGE PAY RISES

Cash-strapped Salford City Council is to give huge pay rises to senior officers after a 'job evaluation exercise' moved them well up the pay scale. It follows the resignation of the Director of Finance and Corporate Business, and spreading the majority of his salary amongst other re-titled roles.

The Salford Star believes the officers are in line to share around £54,000 between them.

Full details here...

HOMELESS KITCHEN AND PROTEST IN MANCHESTER WHILE SALFORD AIMS TO GIVE HOMELESS A VOTE

Star date: 16th April 2018

HOMELESS IN SALFORD CAN STILL REGISTER TO VOTE AS PROTEST HITS MANCHESTER

Today the Salford Unemployed and Community Resource Centre is urging homeless people to get in touch in order to register to vote as it's the last day to do so tomorrow.

Meanwhile, yesterday a food kitchen and sound system happened in Piccadilly Gardens as a party protest against homelessness... "I have spoken to Andy Burnham and I don't think he is going to accomplish his mission to stop homelessness by 2020" said organiser Emma Mohareb.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx