HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
ONLY PEEL HOLDINGS IN FAVOUR OF BARTON INCINERATOR AT PUBLIC INQUIRY
 

Star date: 2nd December 2012

PEEL HOLDINGS ON ITS OWN FOR SHIP CANAL INCINERATOR

Not one single organisation or member of the public stood up to support Peel Holdings proposals for the Barton Renewable Energy Plant at the Public Inquiry which ended last week.

Only people from Peel Holdings' own subsidiary, Peel Energy - which wants to build the biomass waste incinerator - were in favour, while Trafford and Salford Council plus sixty members of the public spoke out against the controversial plans.  

Full story here…


On the Trafford side of the Manchester Ship Canal, Peel Holdings had big plans for the Barton Renewable Energy Plant, a biomass waste incinerator, which campaigners from the Breathe Clean Air Group believed would be detrimental to the health and happiness of local residents.

Trafford Council agreed and refused Peel planning permission, arguing that it would be a "threat to residents". Peel Holdings, never one to accept a democratic decision lightly, appealed and prompted a full scale Public Inquiry which began in mid November and finished last week.

In between the first protest against the plant over two years ago and the ending of the Inquiry there's been more protests by residents, Trafford councillors lining up to slag the plans, Salford Council formally opposing Peel and Dr Mary Booth, a leading expert on air emissions from biomass power plants, slamming the incinerator "as one of the most dangerous I have seen in terms of potential impacts to human health."

The twelve day Inquiry focused on health impacts and environmental concerns, with campaigners against the plant highlighting the potential danger of the incinerator's emissions, with their monitoring being condemned as completely inadequate. Salford Council's Assistant Mayor for Health, Margaret Morris, was one of those who opposed Peel at the Inquiry.

"We have campaigned for the last two and a half years against this scheme, to protect the air we breathe from deadly contamination" says Pete Kilvert, Chairman of the Breathe Clean Air Group "We are delighted that Trafford Council has unanimously opposed the incinerator and that 15 Trafford councillors and a senior councillor from neighbouring Salford, spoke out at the Inquiry. Some sixty members of the public, including Breathe Clean Air Group members also spoke and condemned the incinerator."

Meanwhile, apart from the proposers of the scheme, Peel Energy itself, not one single person spoke in favour of the controversial incinerator.

The Planning Inspector will report his findings next year, before Eric Pickles, Secretary of State, makes the final decision. He's stopped Peel trashing raised bogs at Chat Moss. Now will he stop them trashing people in Trafford and Salford?

See previous Salford Star articles on the Barton Incinerator…

Peel Holdings Incinerator Set To Boom In Barton – click here…
Last Chance To Stop Peel Holdings Salford Polluting Incinerator - click here

Peel Holdings Incinerator Disgrace - click here

Incinerator Dangerous Says US Expert - click here

Sid Pulla wrote
at 9:48:23 AM on Thursday, April 18, 2013
Hi i'm sid pulla a valued member of the community, recently my ghee farm was polluted by a local incinerator, don't let these warthogs into your community!
 
Winston Smith wrote
at 5:35:31 AM on Monday, December 3, 2012
I thought the Mayor of Salford would have turned up to speak (for Peel), did he have flu or something? If there's an idea that makes Salford an even worse place to live he's normally all for it. ConspiccyAbsenceWonderWhyment as the Mayor might say.
 
wrote
at 1:02:38 AM on Monday, December 3, 2012
Let me get this straight - Trafford say NO , Salford Say NO, and Expert Witnesses are against. That's 3 - 1 against Peel - so why are we continuing the discussion? I Challenge Peel to Pull its Finger out and Provide something Positive for the community - and if they want to go into the energy game - purchase an energy firm - its not as if they haven't got the finance!
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD PHOTO ARCHIVE GIVEAWAY
Hi Paul. I lived for my first 8 or so years on Pine Street off Hough Lane in Lower Broughton (1966-74) All very long gone obvious... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH
Phil,I am allowed to comment on things that happen in my city.Why can't these facts and figures be public. If no one has anything ... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH
Oriflamme Raised, I don't know where you get off on bullying me like this. Personally I think that it is pretty despicable of you.... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH
I agree with Oliframe that we need to take a close look at Labour activists. This is why I appeal to not vote Labour this May to s... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH
Paul Dennett, is a politician, lets be honest here, you cannot expect him to tell the truth. All politicians never ever tell the t... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD COUNCILLORS COULD BE CUT IN BOUNDARY COMMISSION REVIEW

Star date: 20th April 2018

NUMBER OF COUNCILLORS COULD BE CULLED IN REVIEW OF WARDS

The number of Salford councillors could be cut in a sweeping review of the city by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England..."The review will re-draw ward boundaries across the city as well as deciding how many councillors should be elected to the council in total" said a spokesperson for the Commission.

Salford currently has three councillors per ward but, with new wards possibly emerging as the city grows, this might be cut to two per ward.

Full details here…

SALFORD CITY MAYOR MISLEADING STATEMENTS ON DEVELOPER CASH

Star date: 19th April 2018

AS £5.5MILLION AVOIDED BY DEVELOPERS SALFORD MAYOR SAYS IT'S A 'MYTH'!

In the latest issue of Salford Council's propaganda mag, Life in Salford, Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, has denounced the "myth" that "developers don't contribute money to the city. It's simply not true" he says.

Yes, they do contribute some money but they also avoid millions of pounds in payments and provision of affordable housing. Indeed, Salford Star analysis shows that developers avoided almost £5.5million in payments last year, as the Mayor only tells half the truth.

Full details here...

DISABLED PEOPLE AGAINST THE CUTS STAGE SCRAP UNIVERSAL CREDIT PROTEST IN MANCHESTER

Star date: 18th April 2018

STOP AND SCRAP UNIVERSAL CREDIT WITH NO EVICTIONS STATE GROUPS

Today, in St Peter's Square Manchester, around half a dozen campaign groups took part in a Disabled People Against the Cuts national day of action calling for Universal Credit to be stopped and scrapped.

Chalk slogans covered the square, speeches were made condemning the affect of the discredited benefit and a giant letter was handed into Manchester City Council calling for 'No evictions' as a result of Universal Credit payment delays.

Full details here...

SALFORD NURSERY CAMPAIGNERS TAKE FIGHT TO PARLIAMENT

Star date: 18th April 2018

FIGHT FOR THE FIVE CAMPAIGNERS HEAD TO WESTMINSTER

A coach load of Save Our Nursery campaigners will be heading to Parliament next Wednesday 25th April for a meeting with MPs in the Palace of Westminster and to urge the Government to be flexible over its new funding formula.

It is also hoped that Labour Party Leader, Jeremy Corbyn, will pressure Theresa May to respond at Prime Minister's Question Time on the same day.

Full details here...

HUGE PAY RISES FOR SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OFFICERS

Star date: 17th April 2018

ASSISTANT DIRECTORS TO GET HUGE PAY RISES

Cash-strapped Salford City Council is to give huge pay rises to senior officers after a 'job evaluation exercise' moved them well up the pay scale. It follows the resignation of the Director of Finance and Corporate Business, and spreading the majority of his salary amongst other re-titled roles.

The Salford Star believes the officers are in line to share around £54,000 between them.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx