HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD PRECINCT MARKET CLOSURE CONFIRMATION
 

Star date: 14th December 2011

SALFORD ESTATES CONFIRM SALFORD OUTDOOR MARKET CLOSURE

"It's crazy. Absolutely crazy" Anne, market trader

Salford Precinct owners, Salford Estates, has confirmed the closure of its Outdoor Market, as predicted by Salford Star last month.

The outdoor market will close on 31st January 2012, as part of the Precinct makeover which includes a new indoor market hall and new retail outlets. The long established Thursday flea market and the Sunday car boot market have not been offered alternative sites.

Full story here…


Salford Market Closure
click image to enlarge

Traders who have had stalls at the Thursday flea market and Sunday car boot market on Salford Precinct since they opened over twenty years ago were already fuming at rumours of closure. Now, Precinct owner Salford Estates has finally confirmed that both markets will shut on January 31st 2012.

One trader, Deborah Hall, told the Salford Star in its exclusive November story on the closure that the decision was disgraceful…

"You ask anyone in Salford and they will tell you, the market is the heart of Salford" she said "And they're ripping the heart out of it to make it bland and the same as everywhere else. It's not the new market that people are bothered about, it's this. This is something different. Here, it's not all the same shops like in every town now but they don't care about that."

Salford Estates has tried to put blame for the closure on traders selling fake goods…

"The sale of counterfeit goods has continued to blight the Outdoor Market and in recent months has become increasingly difficult to manage" says Salford Estates spokesperson Debbie Illingworth
.
"The closure of the Outdoor Market provides the only workable long-term solution" she adds "We are already in discussions with those licensed outdoor traders who trade on multiple market days to provide them with a new pitch in the existing indoor market, to ensure they have continuity of trade."

Salford Estates recently got planning permission for a makeover of the Precinct which included a new indoor market and new shops. In the plans, on the site of the current market, there was a car park and a retail unit.

In the previous Salford Star feature on the closure, Anne, who runs a second hand stall and has worked the market since the day it opened said that there will be nothing for Salford's poorer people when it closes… 

"They don't want yuppified shops, they can't afford it, and if they do want it they go into Manchester or the Trafford Centre" she said "On a Thursday and Sunday it's absolutely heaving with people here" she adds "What are they going to do? No bargains for the Salford people any more."

Her sentiments were echoed by Anne Brander, who has also worked the market since the day it opened.

"A lot of people don't drive or they come here on the bus, where are they going to go?" she adds "There isn't another market anywhere in the vicinity they can go to. Once we go, it's gone. There'll be nothing. They're going to kill the whole place. It's crazy. Absolutely crazy."

See previous Salford Star article on the closure of Salford Outdoor Market click here

Sign the petition to keep the market open - click here

Netty stupot wrote
at 05:59:12 on 14 January 2013
I remember pendlebury market when it thrived and when it was dying. Loved mooching for a pre loved bargain ...then the ratesand big stores sucked it dry. Salfords goint same way. We need individuality. We do not have the money to shop in the fancy stores. I do not want to dress like a clone or purchase items manufactured in China grrrrr!
 
bigjay wrote
at 20:57:25 on 08 March 2012
i live away from manchester, but everytime i came to salford i always came to the market, for great products and great traders,but for the last few years it became a market know for its selling of fake bad quality dvd copies and illiegal tobbaco and copied clothing, these people should have been banned for life, and i knew a few of them personally and they used to brag how much money they made and they had the market managment in their back pocket!, these traders spoilt the market for the genuine traders who work hard for the local people to give me a alternative to the over priced stores in manchester/trafford and high street retailers. i hope the managment will now build a new market hall for the local people and traders, and i hope they dont spoil it by overpricing the rent chargers,and keep the locals away
 
tim wing wrote
at 21:05:56 on 03 March 2012
Why can't we in Salford and Manchester have a market that is similar to Bury Market? Surely, we deserve one, don't we? Almost every major city in England has a big outdoor/indoor market which serves all income groups. Look at Leeds, they have a fantastic market, where I used to live and it's such a shame that we have nothing here. Almost every city in Spain has similar markets where people go to get their fresh (and I mean fresh!) supply of veg, fish, meat ... everything you want. It has a community feel and spirit about that way of life, which we seem not to want, I just don't get it.
 
Mahbubur Rahman wrote
at 16:35:56 on 26 January 2012
This is very sad. I live in Oldham and I visit this market every thursday as there are no other markets like Salford market around Manchester. Markets in every town is nothing like what it used to be but Salford market was different and it was one of the best around here. I gues no more bargains any more. Sad, very sad indeed.
 
Lee Craven MBE wrote
at 14:55:45 on 06 January 2012
Good old Salford Market is to go ? Why are the likes of Tesco destroying Markets such as Salford, People rely on this and do the stall holders who make a living from this, In these hard economunal Times , Markets are a great way to but Cheap Food,and clothes, Tesco are to blame for this, and as ever is ripping the heart out of Salford
 
Marie Piekarski wrote
at 17:19:23 on 30 December 2011
We must all stand up to this bully tactic council and demand they provide an alternative site for the market.. they cannot simply sell on the market area for redevelopment and leave Salford people stranded without any outdoor market whatsover!!
 
Cabe Vincell wrote
at 20:35:46 on 20 December 2011
The meddling of the Big Bully , Tesco , is behind this . It won't suit them to have some competition from a car boot and flea market selling value-for-money goods . As for 'all the counterfeit goods ' nonsense . Just a cheap excuse to deprive folk of a good market . Before long , the 'Salford Shopping Experience' will be every bit as ghastly as the horrors at Swinton and Eccles .
 
Paul Walsh wrote
at 20:27:53 on 20 December 2011
What is happening to salford - antrobus and co! tried to sell light oaks park, you can’t get there anyway cos of the traffic, just keep going to the trafford centre free parking good food for a fiver.
 
2nd that wrote
at 23:21:06 on 19 December 2011
Spot on Ian OBrien. I think that the traders in the corn exchange got £1,000 each. The bomb did Manchester council a favour. I bet Salford council were envious. This lot make me want to vomit.
 
Not Fooled wrote
at 17:27:13 on 19 December 2011
Ilingworth's proof of 'all the counterfeit goods ' on the market is what , exactly ? Just an excuse to deprive small traders of somewhere to trade from . Another example of the rich bullies getting their own way , because cheap , affordadle market goods does not suit them Rotton , greedy bastards .
 
Ian OBrien wrote
at 14:16:44 on 19 December 2011
Lets all for a moment, if we may, remember the pre bomb Corn Exchange in Manchester. Anybody? Yes, it was a thriving market for years with lots of happy little businesses and always croweded. Suddenly, all of Manchester's Christmases came at once in the shape of an IRA bomb which, in the words of Jason Manford was a good thing because "nobody died and we got a new Next". Okay. Now. When was the last time anybody bought anything, or even bothered walking around The Triangle? Thought so. What we have here is yet another attack on the people of Salford by replacing a valuable and profitable community resource (is the market ever not crowded with shoppers investing in the local economy?)with a new carpark or a Frankie and Bennies we can't afford to sit down in. We also have yet another smear campaign by the Manchester Evening News and Manchester Evening News Lite (the Salford Advertiser), which tries to convince us that this measure has been taken because of the 'blight' of counterfeit goods being sold. I think they mean the dodgy DVD stalls which the owners of the Market have happily shared the profits from for over a decade. Harking back to the corn Exchange fiasco for a minute, I clearly recall Manchester council promising the stall holders in there that they would all be given new, shiny stalls either there or somewhere else. I then recall those same stall holders going out of business because it never happened. Funny that. Let me ask you this folks: Do we really want yet another car park or a Nando's or whatever other crappy idea they have for this space? Or do we want decent denim jeans for less than 15 quid? Do we want fresh fruit and veg instead of the pre-packaged, chemicalised, over-priced shite we see in certain metro superstores in the area(I wont mention any names in case it is not publishable). Do we want a Salford which is a little clone of the Northern Quarter, where even the crappy tower blocks we do call home suddenly become 'apartments' which we cannot afford for yuppies we do not want? It breaks my heart to see one of the most historically and artistically important industrial cities in the world, torn to pieces and sold off bit by bit to Salford Councils corporate overlords. Talk about your thirty pieces of silver. I mean, I know it can't be cheap for Hazel to keep the grey at bay, but for god sake, she could get red hair dye cheap as chips on the market!
 
Ex - Trader wrote
at 12:38:04 on 16 December 2011
Traders on the flea and car boot markets do not need to be 'licensed' traders . We still pay stall rent . We sell goods at cheap prices to many Salford folk on low incomes . The market is a dump due to no investment being made by the greedy owners .This is another case of grubby , rich bullies getting their own way , sanctioned by equally grubby council chums . What we need is an alternative local site for the flea and car boot markets , so we can still provisde a valued service to our customers . But the greedy , rotton , self-serving parasites that run this hell city will make sure we do not get one .
 
nigel pivaro wrote
at 10:54:27 on 16 December 2011
Crikey Steve you never told me about this Where will Salfordians now have our markets. The many markets we used to have here provided the entry level for many people with entreprenurial spirit but little starting funds. Some of my relations The Armes family, green grocers, were on the markets for 80 plus years. It now appears you have to be at least middle income before being able to get get on the retail ladder in this city where so many of us have nowhere near that level of earnings. Evidence of the further exclusion of the lower earners from mainstream society. What say we have geurilla markets for poor traders to sell to poor people at affordable prices
 
market man wrote
at 02:04:24 on 16 December 2011
Caroline the traders on the flea market and car boot are not licensed traders so i don't think that law applies.
 
market man wrote
at 20:54:39 on 15 December 2011
So many people call salford market a dump and when salford estates anounce it is going to invest 10 million pounds in to it people are up in arms what do people want. if people wanted a market they would use it try going on a mon, wed,fri,and sat it's deserted good luck salford estates and the new market.
 
caroline wrote
at 20:53:49 on 15 December 2011
As far as i am aware,,, they... by law have to give you altenatives sites.at simlair cost..You need someone who can over ride this in law..Remember..they are not above the law..as far as i am aware ..this is against the law....Think about it....
 
M. Atherford wrote
at 19:35:13 on 14 December 2011
Will be a sad, sad loss, please keep me posted where all you traders move on to.
 
Cynic wrote
at 18:29:57 on 14 December 2011
The excuse put forward by Illingworth of Salford estates is pathetic , yet so typical . Ever considered council work ? Just pathetic .
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star CD
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD CITY COUNCIL THREAT LETTER CAUSES ELDERLY CITIZENS ANGUISH
Amazing isn't it that the council are quick off the mark when you are late with your council tax payment but you wait forever for ... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY COUNCIL THREAT LETTER CAUSES ELDERLY CITIZENS ANGUISH
Whilst concerned and indeed outraged by the unnecessary anguish caused to elderly charge payers, it should be pointed out that ... [more]
article: TONNES OF SALFORD RECYCLING PAPER REJECTED AS PEOPLE PUT WRONG STUFF IN BLUE BINS
Hi Marc, I've just read your reply to Jason. Lack of thought, ignorance and education should be included too. What we have... [more]
article: SALFORD CITY COUNCIL THREAT LETTER CAUSES ELDERLY CITIZENS ANGUISH
Salford has alway been hard hearted toward the elderly residents. The Gateways staff are the most arrogant people I have had to de... [more]
article: COUNTESS WHO MURDERED 650 WOMEN ARRIVES AT EAGLE INN SALFORD
Photos by @shayrowanphotography... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

EVEN SALFORD MP IS BEING DISSED BY PENDLETON TOGETHER ON DANGEROUS CLADDING ISSUE

Star date: 23rd October 2018

PENDLETON TOGETHER TOTAL LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY

The lack of accountability surrounding Pendleton Together, which manages the dangerously cladded blocks owned by Salford City Council, is becoming critical.

Even Salford and Eccles MP Rebecca Long-Bailey is getting dissed by the company when trying to set up meetings, while an email from the Salford Star asking to see the Trident report on safety in the blocks has been ignored, despite the Salford City Mayor stating that its conclusions, at least, should be released.

Here, the suspended chair of Malus Court TARA, Graeme Langton, reports on a Parliamentary reception he attended last week with the Salford MP...

SALFORD CITY COUNCIL THREAT LETTER CAUSES ELDERLY CITIZENS ANGUISH

Star date: 22nd October 2018

CALLOUS COUNCIL TAX LETTER SCARES ELDERLY 

Hundreds, and possibly thousands, of letters have been sent by Salford City Council to elderly people threatening them with the loss of their single person Council Tax discount as it states 'Records show that multiple adults are living at your address', even though they are widows and widowers. The letter tells them to fill in an online form 'within the next 14 days' or the discount will be cancelled.

"It's not fair to be treating your senior citizens in this way, it's just callous" says Jill Royle, whose 92 year old non-computer literate mother became totally agitated on receiving the letter "Salford Council needs to know how much anguish it's caused."

Full details here...

BOLTON NHS HOSPITAL WORKERS CELEBRATE HUGE PAY VICTORY

Star date: 22nd October 2018

AFTER TWO DAY STRIKE HOSPITAL WORKERS WIN NHS PAY PARITY

"We stuck together and we won!" Vicky, cleaner at Royal Bolton Hospital

Bolton Royal Hospital workers are celebrating a massive victory after taking two days of strike action over pay parity earlier this month, supported by Salford UNISON and many other trade unionists.

The workers, who include cleaners, catering staff, porters and security staff, are employed by Bolton NHS Trust's subsidiary company iFM, doing the same jobs as other NHS workers but were offered pay at a lesser rate. Now they have won an increase in line with other NHS workers, backdated to last April.

Full details here...

RALLY TO SAVE OUR NURSERIES AS CAMPAIGNERS PUT DEMANDS ON SALFORD CITY COUNCIL

Star date: 22nd October 2018 

TEN DEMANDS ON COUNCIL BY NURSERY CAMPAIGNERS

Next Saturday, 27th October, Save Our Nurseries campaigners are to hold a rally, from noon, on the lawn of Salford Civic Centre to reinforce the push for a long term solution to closures.

While Salford MPs Graham Stringer, Barbara Keeley and Rebecca Long-Bailey have confirmed attendance, campaigners are putting to the Council ten demands which must be met to avoid a clash.

Full details here...

TONNES OF SALFORD RECYCLING PAPER REJECTED AS PEOPLE PUT WRONG STUFF IN BLUE BINS

Star date: 22nd October 2017

DIRTY NAPPIES AND PLASTIC BAGS PUT IN BLUE BINS

Tonnes of Salford's paper and card recycling collections are being rejected as people put the wrong stuff in blue bins, including dirty nappies, plastic bags, polystyrene packing and even electrical items.

Now Recycle for Greater Manchester has teamed up with Salford City Council to launch a What's In The Box? campaign to remind residents that only newspapers, magazines, greeting cards, paper wrapping paper, cardboard boxes and junk mail and envelopes can be put in the blue bins.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx