HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
THE CRESCENT PUB CLOSURE PERMANENT ‘UNLESS MIRACLE OCCURS’
 

Star date: 9th August 2017

SALFORD PUB CLOSURE FAULT OF CHINESE OWNERS SAYS BAR WORKER

A lack of investment by the Chinese owners, "daft rent" and dwindling custom were responsible for the closure of the historic pub The Crescent, according to Nick Baguley, who worked part time behind the bar for five and a half years. 

While notices outside the Grade II listed pub state that it is 'closed until further notice', Nick says that "Unless a miracle occurs then it's permanent".

Full details here...


There was shock, anger and disbelief when the Salford Star revealed on Monday that The Crescent pub had 'closed until further notice' (see previous article – click here).

Staff at The Crescent had been serving drinks on Sunday night and the closure of one of the city's most well known and historic pubs took everyone by surprise. For Nick Baguley, who worked behind the bar part time for five and a half years, the writing was on the wall...

"The pub was sold a while back to a Chinese consortium, who have been incredibly secretive about their plans for the place" he explains "At one point they said they would help by fixing the roof, toilets etc. Sadly they recently changed their minds and have been demanding daft amounts of rent each week: money we simply didn't have...

"There was that, and the fact that a lot of people just don't bother with the place anymore" he adds "Fair enough, we have loyal regulars and we receive rave reviews on Trip Advisor and social media sites commenting on how good the food is and how friendly the staff are; saying how they plan on coming back very soon...yet you'll pop in after work and there'll be two people sat in the corner."

Many people thought that the 'closed until further notice' signs held out a glimmer that The Crescent might re-open. But Nick reckons there's very little chance of that... "Unless a miracle occurs then it's permanent" he says.

There is some hope that the building can be saved as it is Grade II listed, and also, in September 2016, The Crescent was denoted as an Asset of Community Value by Salford City Council, following an application by the Crescent Pub Conservation Club.

This recognised that The Crescent 'furthers the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community' and, under Section 88 of the Localism Act, if the owner wants to 'dispose' of the property the community has the right to bid for it.

The Act is a bit toothless as the Council decision adds that "The provisions do not restrict in any way who the owner of a listed asset can sell their property to or at what price. Nor do they confer a first right of refusal to community interest groups..."

Plus the Chinese investors, Kaixiang Liu and Caiwen Ban, who bought The Crescent in June 2016 for a stated price of £325,000, might not wish to 'dispose' of it; but rather, as is feared, knock it down to build more unaffordable flats along the Crescent.

At the moment there has been no word from the owners about their intentions for the historic pub...

Julie wrote
at 15:28:05 on 14 August 2017
Maybe some of the secret funding that is keeping all the sports alive in the city should be used to keep the heritage too
 
Linda Robson wrote
at 17:43:02 on 11 August 2017
Respect to Gerry and the team for keeping The Crescent going thus far but it's impossible for the pub to move forward without some investment. As a business neighbour I am acutely aware of how the closure of the Crescent could impact negatively on nearby businesses and appeal to the current owners to do something but please do not build another block of flats! Where are these residents supposed to socialise/spend their cash/find out what Salford is really about/etc when our cultural centres are being dessimated with demolition? Perhaps the building refurb might look like some housing (probably unaffordable for local people) but combined with the adjoining public house. Please preserve the building and the pub, we can't bear to see another landmark lost to Salford forever!! :(
 
Graeme Wright wrote
at 05:28:53 on 10 August 2017
Surely with Grade II listing it would be very difficult for the investor/owners to have the building demolished to pave the way for more financially viable apartments. Hopefully Salford Council will sit up and take notice of this - a long shot I know - and step in to take control of a situation which could so easily get out of hand
 
The end wrote
at 17:32:51 on 09 August 2017
Pub closes due to lack of customers- what shock!! How many of you commenting actually went in there for a drink? None I bet
 
Mary ferrer wrote
at 14:22:15 on 09 August 2017
When the pub was painted green,I know for a fact the council were challenged as to why they had allowed a grade 2 listed building get such a drastic change in look. They did sod all.don't know if that area of the crescent is in aconservation area. If not we could try to make the area from the pub going back in the direction of McDonald's. Most of that area hasn't been touched by Mr Done,yet.mosthe of the buildings have history and are very elegant.We haven't much left,we need to do what we can to put a stop to the destruction of what bit of our heritage and history we have left.We can't trust this council and the officers of Salford to have OUR best interests at heart. We need to act NOW
 
UoS@hotmail.com wrote
at 14:21:50 on 09 August 2017
Thanks for following up on this Steve. It is more bad news though. What is to be left of the place by which you can actually call it Salford anymore? No heritage. No affordable flats. I didn't realise the Salford City Council was required to run the City in the interests of people who don't live there.
 
Michael James Felse wrote
at 09:47:01 on 09 August 2017
I enjoyed going into The Crescent for a good lunch time when I worked on Chapel Street. The word was the new developments would bring in trade to increase its customer numbers. If I was on the Council I would be demanding answers along with more and more answers about our Salford's future.
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: COMMUNITY HAMMERS SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OVER BUILE HILL PARK HOUSING PROPOSALS
The fact is this Labour run council don't listen to the people of Salford.I stated quite clear how they could fund the renovation ... [more]
article: CANNABIS SHOP IN SALFORD OPENS
@ Cody, error massage, it’s censorship, it’s either the star it self doing it or algorithms. It stops certain words or phrases wor... [more]
article: SALFORD LISTED DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS TO BE DEMOLISHED AS PEGGY SEEGER SLATES ‘LAND GRABBERS’
A few years ago we organised a day out to Flamingo Land for the local children. On passing the Gasworks one little voice asked Is ... [more]
article: DEMOLITION TEAM MOVES IN ON SALFORD DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS
In my opinion they're part of Salford's heritage, they should be kept. There's plenty of other brownfield land in Salford to build... [more]
article: DEMOLITION TEAM MOVES IN ON SALFORD DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS
It's got nothing to do with our "Council", the demolition was agreed to by the National Grid (who own the gas works), because the ... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

MIKE JOYCE AND CLINT BOON AT SALFORD LADS CLUB

Star date: 26th May 2018

MUSIC AND STORIES WITH FORMER SMITHS AND INSPIRALS STARS

An Evening of Music, Stories and Top Trumps
Friday 15th June 8pm
Salford Lads Club £10 advance/£12 on door

A special in-conversation fundraising evening is happening at Salford Lads Club on 15th June, with Mike Joyce of The Smiths and Clint Boon from Inspiral Carpets. All profits go to Salford Lads Club.

Full details here...

DEMOLITION TEAM MOVES IN ON SALFORD DIRTY OLD TOWN GASWORKS

Star date: 25th May 2018

MORE HERITAGE TO DISAPPEAR AS EWAN MACCOLL GASWORKS DEMOLITION BEGINS

A demolition team has moved onto the site of Salford's iconic gasworks on Liverpool Street, made world famous by Ewan MacColl's Dirty Old Town anthem.

Ewan MacColl's wife and songwriting partner, Peggy Seeger, slated the 'land grabbing' move and proposed an alternative use that could be "somewhere unlike anywhere in the world" when news first broke of the demolition last year. This has been ignored  and now another slice of Salford's dwindling heritage is set to disappear...

Full details here...

SALFORD CITY COUNCIL SACKS URBAN VISION

Star date: 24th May 2018

SALFORD COUNCIL ENDS CONTROVERSIAL URBAN VISION CONTRACT

Salford Council is to end its controversial contract with joint venture company Urban Vision, after years of accusations that the company was grossly profiteering from public money projects.

Salford Council has a 19.9% stake in Urban Vision but up until recently never even got a dividend from the profits. The Council is set to end the 'joint venture' when the current contract runs out in 2020.

Full details here...

COMMUNITY HAMMERS SALFORD CITY COUNCIL OVER BUILE HILL PARK HOUSING PROPOSALS

Star date: 23rd May 2018

COUNCIL UPS PRICE OF BUILE HILL MANSION PROJECT TO OVER £20MILLION AS PLANS MET WITH SCORN FROM COMMUNITY

Last night, a packed stormy meeting of the Claremont and Weaste Community Committee left Salford City Council in no doubt that any plans to build houses in Buile Hill Park as part of a deal to restore the Grade 2 listed Mansion will be met with fierce opposition.

Salford Council's Assistant Director of the Environment revealed to the meeting that Salford Red Devils Foundation, one of the driving partners of the project, hadn't even signed the controversial Memorandum of Understanding yet – and that the £1.6million cost of restoring the Mansion would have to be met with £1million a year to sustain it, giving a figure of over £20million.

Full details here...

SONGS AND CEREMONIES AS MANCHESTER REMEMBERS ARENA ATTACK

Star date: 22nd May 2018

ONE YEAR ON...

One year on from the Manchester Arena attack, today sees the Manchester Together – With One Voice event this evening in Albert Square from 7pm to 9pm, and Remembering Together, a civic reception this afternoon at Manchester Cathedral.

Meanwhile, local band Prose and the Manchester Survivors Choir have teamed up to raise money for those affected by the Manchester Arena bomb, with the track A City United.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx