HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
BARTON MOSS CONTAMINATION CASE ADJOURNED AGAIN
 

Star date: 1st August 2015

COURT MADE TO WAIT TO HEAR NEW EVIDENCE OF CONTAMINATION AROUND IGAS SALFORD SITE

At Manchester Magistrates Court this week, a District Judge was due to hear expert evidence of contamination around the iGas exploratory drilling site in Barton Moss.

A trail of more than 40 people arrested during the anti-fracking protests at Barton Moss in Spring 2014 had to be adjourned again after the prosecutions barrister failed to show.

Ruth Hayhurst reports…

A trial of more than 40 people arising from anti-fracking protests at the Barton Moss drilling site was adjourned for two days running because no prosecutor was available.

The case at Manchester Magistrates Court had been due to hear scientific evidence this week about contamination near the site operated by iGas. Thursday's hearing was adjourned because no prosecuting barrister was available. No-one from the prosecution could take the case on Friday either.

District Judge James Prowse adjourned the trial until Tuesday 4th August.

The court heard that the prosecution's expert witness, Sarah Scott, of the Environment Agency, had said she could not attend the hearing on Tuesday. A stand-in prosecutor, Rob Hall, asked for her to be issued with a summons. If she does not turn up she could be arrested.

More than 40 people are on trial on charges including obstruction and aggravated trespass arising from protests at Barton Moss in Irlam during spring 2014. They have all pleaded not guilty and argued that their actions were justified because iGas had acted unlawfully.

A previous hearing of the case in March this year heard evidence that a field next to the Barton Moss site had "dangerous levels of contamination". (see previous Salford Star article – click here) But an expert witness for the defence, environmental scientist, Dr Aidan Foley, said it was not possible to identify the source of the contamination without more tests.

The results of new tests by Dr Foley, along with Miss Scott's evidence, are now due to be heard on Tuesday.

Words by Ruth Hayhurst
Prisoner Irlam wrote
at 16:43:14 on 03 August 2015
Think the Council need prosecuting for not along with defra for not taking tenforcementhe appropriate action! And throwing the prosecution's case out of court to boot!
 
Chaz wrote
at 16:40:36 on 03 August 2015
Respect to the Star for getting Ruth Hayhurst in, she's like an unstoppable truth seeking Pitbull. As for this fracking disgrace? I haven't got the words to describe my contempt for these foul people
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
I seriously doubt he's earned 1.5 million. If he has, it would probably explain the suspension! Probably the TV exposure has gone... [more]
article: PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION
My daughter recently left and my son still attends the work drew povey and team harrop do with and for these kids you cant put int... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
Bob, those that want to buy the proposed flats would be aware of what they are buying, including the parking arrangements. If they... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
To wrote at 06.39, you clearly haven't understood my comment. Yes Salix can borrow the money, which would have to be paid back, as... [more]
article: A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD
I remember when you had to have an interview to get in Thorn Court.A friend of mine who lives there now says the block is on the w... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD TOWERBLOCK CLADDING RESIDENTS UNITE TO TACKLE PENDLETON TOGETHER

Star date: 18th July 2018

SPRUCE COURT AND THORN COURT TENANTS GET ORGANISED TO FIGHT BACK

"We're sick to death of being treated like dirt..."

Last night, tenants from Spruce Court and Thorn Court met to share concerns over dangerous cladding, fire safety, security and other issues, as they united to take on towerblock manager Pendleton Together and Salford City Council, which owns the blocks.

"They try to ignore what we're saying" insisted one tenant "They're complacent... we're sick to death of being treated like dirt...".

Full details here...

SALFORD QUAYS DEVELOPER TO AVOID £1MILLION PAYMENT WHILE NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROVIDED

Star date: 17th July 2018

FURNESS QUAY DEVELOPER PROVIDES NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING ON HUGE APARTMENT SCHEME

Salford's planning scandal is to go up another gear this week when an application by developer De Trafford for 421 apartments in blocks up to 27 storeys high on the site of Furness Quay is considered by councillors. Thanks to Salford City Council policies, the developer will be providing no affordable properties, while, through 'viability' assessments it is set to avoid over £1million in planning fees.

Meanwhile, the English Cities Fund (ECf) is continuing its secrecy in relation to new apartments and an office development around Chapel Street and New Bailey.

Full details here...

A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD

Star date: 16th July 2018

CLADDING, SECURITY, FIRE SAFETY AND MORE TO BE DISCUSSED AT PENDLEON TENANTS MEETING

As the Grenfell Tower victims said, before the tragic fire their warnings were not listened to by the authorities. Now tenants in Spruce Court, Pendleton, who are still living with the dangerous cladding, have called an independent meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday, 17th July, to discuss cladding, security and more, while Thorn Court residents are also complaining about the same issues.

Full details here...

PETITION AND PROTEST PLANNED OVER SALFORD SCHOOL HEAD TEACHER SUSPENSION

Star date: 15th July 2018

SCHOOL PROTEST PLANNED OVER HARROP FOLD HEAD AND STAFF SUSPENSION

After Salford City Council suspended Harrop Fold School Head, Drew Povey, and three other staff members last week, supporters have launched a petition to reinstate them, while pupils and parents are planning a protest at the school this Thursday.

Full details here...

FANGIRL CELEBRATION OF SUPER-FANS COMES TO SALFORD FOR GM FRINGE

Star date: 15th July 2018

FOR THOSE WHO GO THE EXTRA MILE IN PURSUIT OF AN ICON

Fangirl by Quina Chapman
Thursday 19th and Friday 20th July
Kings Arms 7pm £6

Do you go the extra mile in pursuit of an icon? Fangirl, at the Kings Arms this Thursday and Friday, deconstructs the 'condition' through songs, rhymes and laughs. A Greater Manchester Fringe must-see, enthuses Ian Leslie.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx