HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
SALFORD CHILDRENS HOSPITAL TRADED FOR HOPE BABY UNIT
 

Star date: November 30th 2010

A Salford Star Exclusive…

Revealed: How Salford's Pendlebury Children's Hospital Was Traded For A Full Maternity Unit At Hope…

When Salford's own Children's Hospital was shut down last year to be turned into a block of flats, there were no protests or a campaign to keep it open. For the first time we can reveal the full story behind the closure.

Click here for details...


"The secretary of State at the time, Frank Dobson, agreed formally that beds at Hope Hospital Maternity Unit would be protected" Ian Stewart


Almost 15 years ago it was proposed that Salford should get a new Children's Hospital. It was to be sited in Stott Lane, right across the road from what was then called Hope Hospital (now Salford Royal Hospital) and was set to replace the old Pendlebury Children's Hospital on Hospital Road.

The bid failed, and, instead, the Children's Hospital was amalgamated into Manchester's St Mary's Hospital, which opened last year. When it was announced that Pendlebury was shutting, there was no great campaign to keep it open by Salford's Labour Council, nor any other organisation.

Now we can reveal the reason – it was traded in to secure the future of Hope Hospital's Maternity Unitwhich is expected to be closed by the Strategic Health Authority at a meeting tomorrow morning (see here).

Former Salford and Eccles MP, Ian Stewart, told a meeting of the Keep Hope Maternity Unit Open campaign last Saturday of the agreement, made with the last Labour Government.

"Because the removal of the Children's Hospital to Manchester would have a very significant affect on families and children in Salford, the Secretary of State at the time, Frank Dobson, agreed formally that beds at Hope Hospital Maternity Unit would be protected" he told the Salford Star later "There was even an agreed system for that."

The system involved the transfer from Trafford's Hospital of maternity beds deemed `clinically unviable' to Hope Hospital's unit…

"Those beds and a number of other beds throughout other hospitals in Greater Manchester meant that there were approximately 10-12 beds that could have kept a 24:7 maternity unit at Hope" explained Ian Stewart "That was the deal. A formal deal."

The problem came, he added, when the MP for Trafford campaigned to keep the beds in the area and won the argument, following a review.

"The outcome was that Trafford didn't lose its beds, consequently there was no domino effect around the Manchester area and the beds that would have secured Hope's future didn't appear" said Stewart "That's where the real problems started…

"I spoke to Frank Dobson before the General Election" he added "And Frank's view was that no subsequent secretary of state should have been able to overturn an agreement made by a secretary of state like that. So as far as I'm concerned the current government should honour that agreement. I've been consistent with that since 1996..."

Salford's Children's Hospital was traded in exchange for a full Maternity Unit at Hope Hospital. That was formal agreement. And that agreement is about to be broken by a decision at tomorrow morning's Strategic Health Authority meeting, proposing to shut down a full Maternity Unit at Hope..

"All this is history now" says Ian Stewart "The important thing now is that parents, families, politicians…every Salford citizen should be mobilising, voicing their opinion and doing something about this. As many people as possible should attend the lobby of the Strategic Health authority on Wednesday morning."

Demonstrate Against The Closure of Hope Maternity Unit
Wednesday 1st December 2010
Gateway House, 3 Piccadilly Place, Manchester
Meet 9:30am outside Piccadilly Station (near post box at the top of the ramp).
Bring placards, banners etc.

Further details see Last Chance For Salford Babies click here…

Louise Williams wrote
at 04:18:25 on 01 December 2010
One word - turncoats ..... On a brighter note, I absolutely love Salford Star. There are that many people who read it, there's probably nothing else left to say about these clowns .... Please go down to demonstrate and show these "people" up for what they actually are
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Salford Star Hoodies
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: SALFORD MP SHOULD BE DESELECTED AFTER KEEPING TORIES IN POWER SAYS CONSTITUENT
Words and music by Alice Searle. I like Alice and agree generally with her sentiment. Stringer is well past his sell by date. We'v... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
Bob the regular, I am sorry, you are just plain wrong, no one would have put peoples lives at risk if they knew that the cladding ... [more]
article: SALFORD MP SHOULD BE DESELECTED AFTER KEEPING TORIES IN POWER SAYS CONSTITUENT
Alice Searle is obviously against democracy and is desperate for this country to stay in the EU when the majority in a democratic ... [more]
article: SALFORD PEOPLE TO JUDGE WHETHER PLANNING COUNCILLOR BROKE RULES
@ charity begins at home, comparing directors salary with that of the Prime Ministers salary is not a good thing. If they had a bi... [more]
article: A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD
I’m sorry to say I won’t hold my breath to get the answers we all need. We will get fobbed off time after time....what are they hi... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

SALFORD MP SHOULD BE DESELECTED AFTER KEEPING TORIES IN POWER SAYS CONSTITUENT

Star date: 19th July 2018

CALLS FOR GRAHAM STRINGER TO BE DESELECTED FOR 'TREACHERY'

On Tuesday night, Blackley and Broughton MP, Graham Stringer, was one of four Labour Party MPs who voted with the Tories on the latest Brexit proposals, allowing Theresa May to scrape to victory by three votes and avert a possible General Election.

Here, a constituent of the Salford MP and Labour Party member, gives her personal opinion, joining the call for Graham Stringer to be deselected...

Full details here...

PEPPA PIG COMMUNISM GRAFFITI GOES SUBVERSIVE IN SALFORD

Star date: 18th July 2018

'COMMUNISM IS FOR THE CHILDREN' SAYS SUBVERSIVE PEPPA PIG

Bizarre graffiti art has appeared near Salford Central Station depicting two delighted looking Peppa Pigs by the slogan 'Communism is for the children'. The art has led to much amusement and bemusement but is probably related to China banning the popular kids' cartoon.

Full details here...

SALFORD TOWERBLOCK CLADDING RESIDENTS UNITE TO TACKLE PENDLETON TOGETHER

Star date: 18th July 2018

SPRUCE COURT AND THORN COURT TENANTS GET ORGANISED TO FIGHT BACK

"We're sick to death of being treated like dirt..."

Last night, tenants from Spruce Court and Thorn Court met to share concerns over dangerous cladding, fire safety, security and other issues, as they united to take on towerblock manager Pendleton Together and Salford City Council, which owns the blocks.

"They try to ignore what we're saying" insisted one tenant "They're complacent... we're sick to death of being treated like dirt...".

Full details here...

SALFORD QUAYS DEVELOPER TO AVOID £1MILLION PAYMENT WHILE NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROVIDED

Star date: 17th July 2018

FURNESS QUAY DEVELOPER PROVIDES NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING ON HUGE APARTMENT SCHEME

Salford's planning scandal is to go up another gear this week when an application by developer De Trafford for 421 apartments in blocks up to 27 storeys high on the site of Furness Quay is considered by councillors. Thanks to Salford City Council policies, the developer will be providing no affordable properties, while, through 'viability' assessments it is set to avoid over £1million in planning fees.

Meanwhile, the English Cities Fund (ECf) is continuing its secrecy in relation to new apartments and an office development around Chapel Street and New Bailey.

Full details here...

A YEAR AFTER SALFORD CLADDING SCANDAL INDEPENDENT TENANTS MEETING TO BE HELD

Star date: 16th July 2018

CLADDING, SECURITY, FIRE SAFETY AND MORE TO BE DISCUSSED AT PENDLEON TENANTS MEETING

As the Grenfell Tower victims said, before the tragic fire their warnings were not listened to by the authorities. Now tenants in Spruce Court, Pendleton, who are still living with the dangerous cladding, have called an independent meeting for tomorrow, Tuesday, 17th July, to discuss cladding, security and more, while Thorn Court residents are also complaining about the same issues.

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx