HOME   ARCHIVE   GALLERY   SHOP   ABOUT US      
 

 
GMP BRINGS CHARGES OVER SALFORD ACTIVIST HIT AND RUN HORROR
 

Star date: 27th September 2013

POLICE CHARGE MANCHESTER MAN OVER GEORGE TAPP HIT AND RUN

Greater Manchester Police has finally charged Manchester man Michael Collins with `dangerous driving' following a hit and run horror back in May, when Ordsall campaigner George Tapp was left with two broken legs and a fractured skull during a protest outside the BAM Construction site in Eastlands.

The protest at BAM was over the company's blacklisting policies and sacking workers at the huge Crossrail project in London. The dispute has now been won.

Full details here…


George Tapp
click image to enlarge

Manchester man Michael Collins has finally been charged with `dangerous driving', after mowing down Salford pensioners' rights and trade union campaigner George Tapp during a protest outside the BAM Construction site, where Manchester City's new training ground is being built at Eastlands.

The protest was centred around BAM's role in the huge £15billion Crossrail project in London, where workers were sacked for questioning health and safety on the site and allegations were made of BAM blacklisting workers for trade union activity.

During the Unite union protest in East Manchester, as George Tapp and others handed out leaflets to motorists, the driver of a Ford Ka accelerated, leaving George with two broken legs and a fractured skull, and two other men with minor injuries.

At the time, witness Paul Kelly told the Salford Star… "George was at the front of the car with a couple of other guys. Then I just heard the massive sound of an engine noise, looked round and saw the car disappear up the road for about 200 yards with George on the bonnet and the other lads.

"I was watching and the driver just hit the breaks" he added "I saw all the lads on the front fall onto the floor, and he just drove off and left them there. George was in the middle and he just hit the floor. The speed of the car was so fast it burnt the tyres, and you could actually smell burning, and he breaked hard, that is how George sustained his injuries, he was flung straight onto to the floor.

"Most people were in shock really because the person who perpetrated this was just a complete maniac, there was no reason to do it; in my opinion it was attempted murder what that man tried to do to George" he concluded "In my mind he went from 0 to 60 in seconds and that is an act of a madman." (See previous Salford Star article – click here)

Greater Manchester Police has released the following statement…

"A man has been issued with a summons to appear at court in relation to dangerous driving. Michael Collins (17/06/1994), of Walsden Street, Manchester is due to appear at Manchester city and Salford Magistrates on Monday 21 October 2013.

At around 6pm on Wednesday 13 May 2013, police were called to reports of a group of protesters stood across Ashton New Road, opposite BAM Construction site, blocking traffic travelling in both directions. On arrival, police discovered there had been a collision between a blue Ford Ka and 64-year-old man. He was taken to hospital and treated for a broken leg."

Last night, George Tapp couldn't comment on the case but he told the Salford Star that the original protest at BAM in East Manchester counted towards the victory of Unite union in the dispute.

"We've been successful in winning this dispute and the workers are now getting their jobs back and compensation payments" he said "It's a tremendous success and shows what can be done if people fight and stand together.

"Now we want all the other companies to sign up and be honest about blacklisting" he added "We'd like to thank the Scottish Parliament for all the work they put in, calling an enquiry and holding a select committee on the subject."

See also previous Salford Star articles…

Salford Mayor Blacklisting Hypocrisy Revealed - click here

Blacklisting Ruins Lives - click here

* Pending legal advice we have taken all the comments down for the time being.


 

 

Steven North wrote
at 09:47:03 on 30 September 2013
About time!
 
Please enter your comment below:
 
 
 
Giraffe
Salford Star contact
Deli Lama
advertisement
 
Contact us
phone: 07957 982960
Facebook       Twitter
 
 
Recent comments
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
How many of these people complaining will go out and vote labour in the next election? The only way to stop this vote them out and... [more]
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
Bob makes sense but after the Westminster shambles this week who knows how the public will vote come elections. Labour may be thro... [more]
article: STRANGE HEADLINES AND CUTS QUOTAS AT SALFORD CITY COUNCIL
Rossi,what do I know about you? I) You've got a personality disorder. II) You post views that you don't believe in ! III) You cra... [more]
article: ‘CONCERN’ OVER SALFORD CITY COUNCIL NURSERIES
Have our council not learned any lessons about outsourcing? Urban vision? Carrilion? Can these people not come up with some scheme... [more]
article: COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING
What a nice bunch of pleasant type dissidents you seem to have here. They are all wasting their time here though. Dennetts mob wil... [more]
 
 
 
 
 
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds
 
 
 

Donate

Help the Salford Star...

all donations welcome

 
 

More articles...

ECCLES HOMELESS SHELTER COURT CASE SET FOR END OF JANUARY

Star date: 18th January 2019

TOOTHBRUSHES AND SOCKS FOR THE HOMELESS

On 9th January at the Manchester Civil Justice Centre, the judge allowed an eight day extension for those homeless people currently occupying the old doctor's surgery in Eccles. The case has now been set for the end of January, giving them an extra two weeks to prepare a legal defence.

Meanwhile this week, the Salford Unemployed and Community Resource Centre, which is helping the Shelter, took delivery of loads of pairs of thick winter socks and around one hundred toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes donated towards its new Medical and Dental Surgery for the homeless and ex-offenders.

Full details here...

SALFORD GRADE II LISTED VICTORIA THEATRE STEP CLOSER TO BEING SAVED

Star date: 17th January 2019

NEW OWNER CONSIDERS RESTORATION PLANS FOR LOWER BROUGHTON THEATRE

After Lower Broughton's 'at risk' Grade II listed Victoria Theatre was sold last year, there were fears that it would be pulled down for development but the Salford Victoria Theatre Trust has today announced that its new owner "has engaged with the group to seek out a way forward, even vowing to consider plans to restore it for its original purpose".

The Trust is now putting together a business plan and pitch to present to the owner at the end of the month, with a meeting planned with Salford City Council next month to discuss the theatre's future.

Full details here...

COMMUNITY GREEN SPACE CAMPAIGNERS JOIN DEMO OUTSIDE SALFORD CITY COUNCIL MEETING

Star date: 16th January 2019

'IT'S THROWING RESIDENTS TO THE WOLVES OF RAMPANT DEVELOPMENT'

Before a full meeting of Salford Council this morning, residents campaigning against development on green spaces in the city held a demonstration outside the Civic Centre.

Representatives of campaigns including from Campbell Road, Duncan Matheson, Walkden and Buile Hill Park then went into the meeting to hear City Mayor, Paul Dennett, say that the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework was "protecting green belt and green spaces", after Carol Boyce of Saving Our Neighbourhood had accused the Council of "throwing residents to the wolves of rampant development".

Full details here...

NEVER MIND THE BREXITS HERE’S THERESA PUPPET BY CABINET OF MILLIONAIRES

Star date: 16th January 2019

SALFORD ACTOR CLAY WHITTER STARS IN THERESA VIDEO

As Theresa May balances on the political precipice, Cabinet of Millionaires has issued its Theresa track and video which sonically destroys her policies on homelessness, austerity and more.

Theresa stars Salford artist and actor, Clay Whitter, as a homeless bloke trying to make a buck out of a dancing Theresa puppet – it says it all, never mind the Brexits.

Full details here...

‘CONCERN’ OVER SALFORD CITY COUNCIL NURSERIES

Star date: 14th January 2019

'CONCERN' AS SALFORD COUNCIL NURSERIES PUT OUT TO TENDER

In a letter to Salford City Mayor, Paul Dennett, the Save Our Salford Nurseries Campaign has expressed concern that the uncertainty and "slow progress" over the future of the five outstanding Council nurseries "has had a significant impact on the staff and service".

The nurseries were put out to tender last month, and the Campaign, while inviting the Mayor to a meeting at the end of this month, warns him that "A privatised option has been shown to lead to problems of cost, delivery and long term viability".

Full details here...

 



written and produced by Salfordians for Salfordians
with attitude and love xxx